WD 1 TB 32MB BLACK Data Drives (2)

My question is this:

My dealer has the following in stock for ram:
    G.SKILL DDR3 TRI-CHANNEL 6HK/1600 CL 8-8-8-21
    G.SKILL DDR3 TRI-CHANNEL 6TD/1600 CL 6-7-6-18
    G.SKILL DDR3 TRI-CHANNEL 6TD/2000 CL 9-9-9-24
    G.SKILL DDR3 TRI-CHANNEL 6GBRM/1600 CL8-8-8-24

Which is the best set?
    Is there any advantage going to 12Gb vs 6GB?

This computer will be used for photoshop work and a gaming machine.

Thanks.

6 GB should suffice for probably 90+ % of all users, the exceptions being true power users, using high RAM demand software that multitask to an extreme. Of the sets shown the 1600 set w/ the tightest timings at stock settings should provide the best performance (the 1600 set at 6-7-6-18). Over all of the three the 2000 set should be the fastest and if the speed on that set (2000) is dropped to 1600, tou might even be able to tighten the timings to even lower than the stock 1600 sets, and thus faster still.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tighten Timings

Thanks Tradesman.

I am building two systems, one for a customer and one for myself. Since the BIOS has changed and I am not familar with the new system of overclocking the X58, could you suggest the correct settings for F3-12800CL6T-6GBTD. The customer's macine has to be rock stable as he is not a tech person just an end user. I can afford to play so the different setting will be for me personal machine. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Do you have any time restraints on getting the system for the client? and what will they be doing w/ it? Gaming, general computing, photoshop, etc, what? ......... Reason I ask is looking at it from a builders standpoint and keeping the client happy for a long time.

If there are time restraints, then you want it up and running fast and rock solid. Pop the sticks in slots 1,3,5, go into the BIOS set to optimal settings and boot, take a look at what it comes up as...should be to 6-7-6-18, speed 1600, voltage at 1.65, command rate at 2T (with the Rampage it may come up 7-7-7-21, speed 1333, voltage 1.64 or 1.66 (either is fine, and possibly command rate at 1T. If so, all should be OK but may want to change command rate to 2T. If that's what you get should be solid. Next you have the option to change all to the stated specs of 6-7-6-18, 1600 or you can leave it as is, then in the future you can tighten the timing and raise it to 1600 to give a bit of a boost and make them even happier, because as you know, once the client gets the system and starts loading programs it's going to slow things down a bit......in the meantime you have the oportunity to fine tune your system and can then offer to provide some 'tweaks' to speed his system up once it's 'broken' in. I always allow 6-10 days for the thermal compound on the CPU to cure before undertaking any serious OCing and it's good to tell the client that.

In short, the client will get a fast system, pay, be happy and you have a week or more to play with yours, fine tune it, get the settings down to change on the clients, then when you tweak their system you can give them a nudge upward or really crank it up, most will pay extra for the tweaking and tell all their friends about it as well as how professional you are in what you are doing.

As to your system, start as above, but change the settings to what they should be6-7-6-18, 2T, 1.64/1.66 and 1600. Should fire up Ok.

If any problems get back to me, I'm normally here for a while every evening while I'm doing other things on my systems and I check this site along with a couple others throughout the day when the opportunity presents itself i.e. early thirty AM and mid afternoon.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks

Talked to customer today and he is willing to wait until all the parts are in as they are out of stock on one of the drives and once that comes in I will pick up the order and start assembly. He is a professional photographer and uses his computer for storing and tweaking the shoots he does. He has a entirely different system for video. This is a entirely new build in an entirely new case etc. I held off on the micro system as this will be a better system for me overall. My system will be for gaming and data backup. Will keep you posted. Thanks for your help Tradesman.

Comment

No problem, if you have any problems, let us know

Tman

Comment

The Trident 2000 is definitely the package to go with. From a consumer standpoint it is also better than the Trident 1600. The 2000 can operate at those 1600 CL6 timings and it can operate at 2000 CL8 (rated at 9). On the other hand the Trident 1600 can only run CL6 and slightly higher with an overclock with looser timings. The pricing is very close, which definitely puts the stamp on the 2000 over 1600.

Don't forget to take a look at our guide. We have a specific guide for that motherboard and memory combination.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1166

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
              X