Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL memory for my foxconn black ops x48 motherboard

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and also noob in overclock.

I built my 2nd computer and here are my specs:

E8400
    G.Skill ddr3 1600mhz 4x2gb =8gb model: F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
    zalman 9700 cpu fan
    4850 x2 2gb

I am really not familiar with overclock or bios.
    I tried to manually set my memory to 9-9-9-24, but not sure really what this really means..
    I somehow copied some other users set up, but OC is not stable.
    I used prime 95 blend test and it would give me error even without cpu overclock.
    I am so confused I am not sure what I should do now.. I can't figure out if there is problem with my memory setting or cpu setting..
    Yesterday night, I had to go back to default setting and went to bed..
    My first build was somehow very easy, but foxconn black ops x48 seems to be very picky in OC..

I played around with cpu voltage and I am not sure what is correct set up.

I used 450FSB with 9x multiplier. It would boot up, but error will occur right away from prime 95, so I thought I was doing something wrong.

I went to bio memory setting and I had so many settings, so I do not know what I should do. Right now everything is set to auto. Please help!
    Last edited by krazyatom; 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM.

If you could post your BIOS settings and tell us exactly what you are looking to accomplish would help i.e. the 8400 native speed is 3.0 GHz, you might want to set goals and move up gradually, and keep documenting each step you take. The 8400 will run easily at 3.6 and up to and over 4 GHz.

Also knowing your OS would help (and proposed OS) i.e.if your running 32bit and want to go to 64, if your on XP or Vista and want to go to Win7, etc.

The biggie is screen shots of the BIOS, to let us see what you are at, what's available, etc.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi tradesman,

I am at work right now so I will not be able to provide you guys with screen shots, but I can provide all the bio infos.

My goal was to run 4.0ghz with E8400 Core 2 Duo, but I am really frustrated right now

I have:

E8400 Core 2 Duo CPU (EO stepping)
      CPU FAN Zalman 9700
      Window 7 ultimate 64bit
      G.Skill ddr3 1600mhz 4x2gb =8gb model: F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
      Sapphire 4850 x2 2gb
      PSU - antec 650watts True power trio

BIO:

1. I disabled "System BIOS Cacheable" because someone recommended. (I actually tried both disabled and enabled.

2. I enabled manual O.C., unlocked multiplier, cpu clock ratio + 0.5x

3. Dram timing seletable enabled.

tCL - 9

tRCD - 9

tRP - 9

tRAS - 24

tRFC - 40

Command per clock - 2

5. CPU voltage setting - 1.30v

6.CPU voltage mutiplier - 1.000 (couldn't find any info on this so i left it as it is)

7. CPU vdroop compensation enabled.

8. NB voltage setting 1.35v (default is 1.25v i think)

9. dram voltage - 1.61v

10. CPU CLOCK (FSB) set to 400mhz (I tried many other set up too)

11. CPU CLOCK vs MEMORY - 1:2 (I find this 1:2 as most stable)

I couldn't boot with 1:4 because it would give me like 3 beep sound and OC recovery will occur.

cpu temp - idle 34c - 36c
      NB - idle 38c - 40c
      system temperature 30ish

Not sure if i provided enough info for you guys.
      I am starting to think that my mobo or ram could be bad : (
      I used prime 95 blend test, but I get error right away even in factory default setting.

I bought both mobo & ram from newegg, so I need to make a decision fast before my return period ends.

I will go home tonight and update my mobo bio and going to try my other ddr3 1333mhz crucial. I spent many hours starting last saturday, but I am very frustrated.

I am not so comfortable updating my bio because in the past I had failed updating my bio and my mobo got corrupted Is there a way to safely update your bio?
      Last edited by krazyatom; 10-06-2009, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Set tRFC to AUTO or 80. DRAM Voltage can be raised to 1.65V. Complete the BIOS update, it shouldn't matter especially if it doesn't work either way. Just follow directions carefully and everything should be fine.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

do you think I should try using 2 stick memory?
          I currently used all 4 stick to overclock.
          Does it matter if I use 1,3 or 2,4 slot?

Comment

NB Voltage should also be 1.40V for 8GB. You can use 2 sticks, it should be more stable, but the settings are simply different for 8GB.

If you use 2 sticks, the blue slots should be the initial slots.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for your advice.
              I found out that my G.Skill ddr3 1600mhz 4x2gb =8gb model: F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
              doesn't like my foxconn black ops x48 motherboard.

I pulled ddr3 memory from my i7 computer and everything worked fine.
              I was able to overclock up to 3.9ghz using stock voltages and I went over 4.0ghz with voltage change.
              Somehow my g.skill memory performs great in my i7 computer.

before I return this to newegg, which memory do you guys recommend for my foxconn black ops x48 motherboard? I really like g.skill brand, so I am going to get different model that works with my board.

Please advice!

PS: I have a question. What's difference between 1:2 and 1:4(333) I set up using 1:2 and seems to be more stable.. Thanks!
              Last edited by krazyatom; 10-07-2009, 07:38 AM.

Comment

please help!

Comment

thanks for great support guys. I am returning my g.skill ram and buy corsair memory.
                  I asked for your recommendation, but I haven't heard anything from you guys.
                  Corsair responded very quickly, so corsair memory will be my choice for foxconn black ops.

Comment

I apologize for the delay. Here are the memory packages we have available for your motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2%20x%202GB%29

I would suggest the F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD or F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH

They are both very high performance memory modules that would work great on the X48 chipset.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                    X