Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about compatibility - DDR3 memory

Hello there.
    First of all, please excuse my english. I’m from Argentina.

I’m planning to upgrade the memory on my rig. I’m currently using 2 x 1Gb G.Skill F3-12800CL7-1GBHZ (running at 7-7-7-18 1.90v), on a ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP@n with a Intel Core2Quad Q9650. I would like to stick with G.Skill, given the good results and performance I have so far.

I have two buying options:
    - F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH (Ripjaws)
    Or
    - F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD (Trident)

I would like to know what would be the best choice between those two. I know that Ripjaws series are mainly targeted for P55 chipset, and Trident for X48 and P45 (closer to my M/B chipset). But if I can choose, I would go for the Ripjaws series, mainly because its lower latency.
    Is F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH compatible with my motherboard?

And by the way, what settings in BIOS should I take in consideration for each pair to get a stable system? You know, voltages and stuff.
    I plan to use them at their respective specs. What I mean is, I'm not willing to replace my current memory (working flawlessly), getting a new one that ends running below its own specs (i.e: 1333Mhz, or high latencies) or worst (BSOD, inestability).

Thanks for your time and patience, and looking forward for an answer.

Sincerelly yours, Gerardo from Argentina.
    Last edited by Lobizon; 09-25-2009, 07:18 AM.

The F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH should work fine on your system if you have the F3-12800CL7-1GBHZ working properly. I am slightly skeptical because your motherboard is only rated for DDR3-1333. Otherwise, you have a good processor and you should be able to OC the CPU to operate DDR3-1600 CL7 with this memory without any issues. It should also be lower voltage than your current memory sticks.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for your reply, G.Skill Tech

Actually, this mobo is rated for 1600Mhz (OC) and even 1800Mhz (OC) according to ASUS (4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1800*/1600*/1333/1066/800) *Overclock.
      Product's main page only states 1333 just like you say. But if you go to 'Specifications' in the same page, and if you look at the manual, they both say it can go higher.
      I'm currently running my sticks at 1600Mhz and CPU at 3.40GHz (400MHz FSB) just to match it with my memory clocks.
      I'm not planning (at least, not in short time) to overclock any further.

So, your saying that I shouldn't have any problem with F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH, even if it's targeted to a different chipset?

And what about adding a second pair of F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH, making a total of 8Gb? I've been reading, that using 4 memory slots could lead to inestability (when trying to use them at their rated specs. Sometimes it's solved if you loosen timings and/or frecuency. I'm not even thinking about doing that, what's the point in buying something if I cannot use it like is meant to)

Thanks again for your support.

Comment

The memory package is made for a specific chipset, but because your motherboard can operate the same specifications, you should have no issues. Only AMD may have issues.

You can use 8GB, but it depends on your motherboard. You will need to increase NB Voltage to 1.4V to stabilize the memory controller. Loosen advanced timings to allow for 8GB, but worst case scenario is having to downclock frequency. We have not tested it on this board yet so we can not be sure, but most of the time the P5 series doesn't have an issue. It simply depends if you need the extra GB. Even if you downclock, you can tighten timings to CL6 and that will make up for lost frequency. So it's not that bad if you really need 8GB. But like I said, ASUS usually doesn't have an issue.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
        X