Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ on ASUS M4A785TD-V

Hello,

TMan and I began this conversation via private message, but now that I'm an approved forum poster, I thought we could continue it here.

My First Message:

Thanks for the response. I include my information in this message:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V @ 3.1 GHz, Bus Speed 200, Multiplier 15.5, HT Link 2000. RAM options in bios seem different than most boards.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550. I sucessfully unlocked the other two cores on this processor and CPU-Z now sees it as AMN Phenom II X4 B50. Runs stable with all cores

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ. Right now running at 1333 MHz; would like to run at 1600 MHz. More detail: CPU-Z shows RAM running at 666 MHz, with timings of 9 9 9 24 33 1T

TMan's Response this morning:

Let's see what we can come up with:

1st try: Change command rate to 2T and set RAM voltage to 1.8 (I know that's the rated max, but it's deceptive most all RAM (GSkill anyway, you can go .1 over with no threat to warranty (this is per GSkill)).

if no go:

2nd try: leave above as is, then believe the 33 you show in the timings should be your tRFC, change it to 64.

You may also want to kick up your CPU voltage a tic or two, and to run at 1600, you may have to put in a fairly decent OC. AMDs have trouble w/ RAM over (actually even at) 1066 and above.

My present response:

ASUS M4A785TD-V bios (newest one) has no setting for Command Rate, although RAM voltage can be set. As for second try, there's no clear corresponding adjustment in bios there, just tRFC0, 1, 2 and 3, each with settings from 90ns to 350ns.

Here's what's available in bios for DRAM:

1) Memory Clock Mode: choices are 400, 533, 667 and 800 MHz.

2) DRAM Timing Mode: DCT0, DCT1 and "Both" are choices. Eliminating duplications, the following parameters are available:
    TCL, TRCD, TRP, tRTP, TRAS, TRC, tWR, TRRD, tRWTTO, tWRRD, tWTR, tWRWR, tRDRD, and tRFC0, 1, 2 and 3. As you see, no Command Mode or simple tRFC.

3) Memory overvoltage. 1.5-2.31V range with .015V increments.

I must say that I'm already very happy with the processor speed of my unlock quad core processor. Just wondered if there's a straightforward way to increase RAM performance. Certainly open to general overclocking of CPU as long as quad core configuration is not thus destabilized.

Thanks to TMan and any other advise or comments are appreciated.

John

1600 is rated by ASUS as an OC spec for RAM so to run at 1600 you'll prob have to go for a healthy OC on the CPU, it shouldn't affect the 4 cores, the 550 is a decent OCer, but overall you may end up running at 1333. Think I ran into this setup elsewhere will check it out, may be later this evening , if not it will be tomorrow evening, got a 13 hr day tomorrow, hoping to be able to kick back over the weekend some.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Memory Clock Mode: 800 MHz

DCT Mode: Both.
      TCL 9, TRCD 9, TRP 9, tRTP 4, TRAS 24, TRC AUTO, tWR 10, TRRD 4, everything else to AUTO

tRFC0, 1, 2 and 3 all at 127. If no good, try 160.

Memory Voltage - 1.65V

This combination should be able to run 1600. Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

GSKILL Support,

Your solution worked flawlessly. RAM speed increased to 1600 MHz. Ran MEMTEST for a couple of hours, no problem. Then ran Prime95 Blend. Only change was temperature went up about 4 degrees at peak load (I assume because of increased voltage), but this is just from 41 to 45, no problem. System remains completely stable with unlocked cores and OCed RAM. I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for the quick and correct response; I will note this in my New Egg review.

Thanks again,

John

Comment

If i may add to this...keep a eye on .. ( sleep mode )...most overclockers disable it...as well as cool and quiet....when a system comes out of sleep mode....it has a bad habit of returning your v-core to default volts..meaning you need a reboot to get it back to your settings...this problem has been around for a long time...for a better understanding then im giving ...google ....sleep mode trouble with over clock...or try it yourself... let it go to sleep mode...then bring up cpu-z....you will see the v-core drop...i suggest you turn your sleepmode to never in your power managment....and disable cool and quiet in your bios....this will give you a nice steady stream of volts for your cpu....Pat

if you wish google both for a longer explaination

Comment

Working...
          X