F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH Faults with Intel DP55SB Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH Faults with Intel DP55SB Motherboard

When I have the ram configured with the 1600 XMP profile and everything else default I get various BSOD crashes when the computer is working hard. If I set the memory to standard 1333 timings the system is rock solid. The memory always passes Memtest64 in all configurations so I am somewhat puzzled by this. The faults occur usually while gaming and they vary between IRQ faults and BAD POOL faults. Once the memory is placed in 1333 then everything runs fine. The motherboard has an I7-860 CPU and the memory is placed in the default slots (blue). Nothing is overclocked. Any help would be appreciated, here are my settings, thanks.

Profile 1: XMP-1600
    Uncore Multiplier 18
    Memory Multiplier 12: DDR3-1600
    tCL 7
    tRCD 7
    tRP 7
    tRASmin 21
    tRFC 88
    tRRD 6
    tWR 10
    tWTR 6
    tRTP 6
    tRC 34
    tFAW 15
    Memory Voltage 1.6v
    Uncore Voltage Override 1.1v
    Command Rate 2T

You show 7-7-7-21, and specs call for 7-7-7-24.
    If that's not it, you may want to either A) give a slight OC through the CPU..or..B) loosen the timings on the RAM to maybe 8-8-8-24 (still at same volts and command rate, Intel boards may list different RAM but generally the lowest listed is considered 'stock' and the higher speeds are considered for OCing, the way the BIOS is written reflects this.
    Last edited by Tradesman; 09-21-2009, 06:27 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Interesting catch on the timings, those settings came right from the XMP profile from the RAM. I didn't even check those figuring they must be correct. I will see if that fixes the problem, thanks for the catch.

Comment

Hope it works for you, if not I think one of the other two should work

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

None of those techniques worked. I find it strange that the Ram is listed as 7 7 7 24 but yet the SPD Extended information for the XMP profile lists 7 7 7 21 and that is what is passed to the BIOS. If I run the RAM at 1333 then all is well, but when I move it to 1600, even with relaxed timing it will eventually crash the system.

Comment

Try kicking the voltage to 1.65 and see if that stabilizes it. If so you can then lower the voltage a tic at a time.

Tman

Comment

That didn't work either. I am going to remove one stick at a time and see if I have a bad one. I am a bit disappointed since I specifically purchased this RAM to use in the Intel board for the XMP profile and it seems like it won't run with this profile selected even though it is part of the SPD.

Comment

Try raising the Uncore to 1.2V. Definitely check them individually to see if there is a bad stick. Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Using a memory voltage of 1.65 and uncore at 1.2 did not help within timings set at 7 7 7 24 2T. I will try each stick individually tomorrow, thanks for the help.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

After hours of trying different settings I have found that the RAM is stable at 1.6v and 8 8 8 24 2T timings, and each stick is stable at 7 7 7 24 as long as it is the only stick in the system. As soon as I run those timings with 2 sticks in then it becomes unstable. Also, the sticks have a sticker on them declaring that they are 7 7 7 21 @1.65v which is different than the specs on the web page. Also, the SPD reports that this ram is 7 7 7 21 @ 1.6v. What is this ram really designed to do? Obviously I am somewhat disappointed because I purchased it to run at 7 7 7 24 timing but it can't do that and be stable.

Comment

My guess would be that indeed 7-7-7-21 sounds more reasonable, Normally you'll see the large number as the sum of the first three timing (or less than the sum). They seldom are higher than the sum of the entry three.

Maybe GSkill can shed some light on it in the morning.

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by ernisse View Post
                          Also, the sticks have a sticker on them declaring that they are 7 7 7 21 @1.65v which is different than the specs on the web page. Also, the SPD reports that this ram is 7 7 7 21 @ 1.6v. What is this ram really designed to do?
                          That's the question. What chips are on those sticks?
                          I have two kits and the funny thing is, that each of the kits has a different sticker on the modules. One is declared as 7-7-7-21 and the other one as 7-7-7-24. What's the difference between the two kits?
                          4GHz Validation
                          MSI 790FX-GD70 (BIOS 1.6B3)//PhenomII 965
                          2x 2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH//Sapphire 4870X2
                          OCZ Agility 120GB//2x Hitachi Deskstar (500GB) RAID0//ZALMAN ZM850-HP 850W

Comment

The initial testing specs were 7-7-7-24, but further testing was done and they are indeed able to operate 7-7-7-21 @ 1.65V. There is no actual difference as far as IC chips and such. Did you try the timings with memory voltage at 1.65V? You should be able to operate them with those specs.

Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              The initial testing specs were 7-7-7-24, but further testing was done and they are indeed able to operate 7-7-7-21 @ 1.65V. There is no actual difference as far as IC chips and such. Did you try the timings with memory voltage at 1.65V? You should be able to operate them with those specs.

Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT
                              Here are my settings that come off the SPD but cause instability. If I keep all of these settings the same except run the timings at 8 8 8 24 @ 1.6v then the system is stable. If I run the settings below at 1.65v then the system is unstable again. I also tried running the uncore voltage at 1.2v but that didnt help either.

Profile 1: XMP-1600
                              Uncore Multiplier 18
                              Memory Multiplier 12: DDR3-1600
                              tCL 7
                              tRCD 7
                              tRP 7
                              tRASmin 21
                              tRFC 88
                              tRRD 6
                              tWR 10
                              tWTR 6
                              tRTP 6