Intel p875pbz no boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel p875pbz no boot

Upgraded to two sticks of F1-3200phu2-2gbns in an intel p875pbz with a p4 3.0 HT. Worked fine for a coupla weeks then no boot. Counts off the memory fine and then just sits there. Ran fine for two weeks; no BSOD, no errors, various RAM progs said g.skill mem was fine. Switch old kingston memory back in; everything is normal. Put the gskill back in there; no boot.

I have read in the forums that this g.skill mem should have 2.75 volts? On this m-board, I can do 2.725 or 2.775 volts. It?s at the default of 2.625 volts now.

Also, since this board does not seem to be defaulting to the correct values, could you please tell me if these values are correct? I don?t want to overclock this even if it could be done; just want the normal old boring defaults. This is a DAW and we really need for it to be stable.

We can set these in the BIOS. They currently are:

SDRAM frequency 400
    SDRAM TCL 2.5
    SDRAM TRCD 3
    SDRAM TRP 3
    SDRAM TRASMIN 6
    Memory refresh recycle time 12 clocks
    Memory R/W delay 2 clocks
    Memory r/w timing 6 clocks

And of course the previously mentioned voltage issue.

I?m assuming this is the correct RAM for the p875pbz?

Thanks a ton!

Sam

Should work, may want to try the 2.775 volts. Also may want to check with the mobo maker and ensure you have the latest BIOS and drivers for your mobo. Another way to help stabilize would be to kick up your NB and Vcore voltages a tick.

Tman

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

FIXED: but why not tell consumer about the 2.7 v issue?

Hey tman:

Thanks for a quick reply. I changed voltage to 2.725 and it booted no problem.

Seems stable. No bsods. Ran all sorts of hugely RAM hog DAW progs and no hiccups. So far so good.

>>>>>>Another way to help stabilize would
      >>>>>>>be to kick up your NB and Vcore voltages a tick.

Nope, it's an intel brand board so I'm surprised they even have a way to mess with the RAM timings and voltage. No other system voltages or tweaks in BIOS.

Am I overtaxing the m-board memory controller -- or whatever supplies the juice to the memory -- by running the mem at 2.7 volts? I do NOT want to toast this board.

2.775 won't be too high for the mem?

Thanks for all your help!

Sam

+++++++++++++++

Soapbox addendum: I have been building and fixing computers since the days before ZIF sockets, when CPU cache was still press-in SRAM bugs, back in the prehistoric days of 486s and even 286s. I find it disheartening that nothing comes with this RAM that says to run it at 2.7 volts. It reminds me of the days when motherboards came with utterly impenetrable directions. I thought we had learned from those days? I wasted three or four hours switching stuff in and out .... when the company knew the fix all along but doesn't want to tell the consumer about it for some reason.

Since many machines will apparently misdetect this as 2.5-2.6v ram, gskill must get a lot of returns when it doesn't work .... and it would work just fine if the users bumped the voltage to 2.7. It's mindboggling to me that gskill doesn't include a one-cent scrap of paper -- labelled READ ME FIRST in big red letters --- telling you to set the voltage higher, or try that if the memory doesn't boot.

Like I said, I have a ton of computer experience, so I prowled arond and found the answer, but how many Joe Consumers would do that?

Including install directions with the RAM would save gskill thousands and thousands in tech support and returned merchandise ... And it would stop the consumer from wasting hours trying to discover something that is common knowledge to the company.

Not angry ... Just commenting on a very strange business practice.

Comment

These sticks are rated up through 2.75v, so all should be fine. To to a degree the problem lies in the BIOS of the MOBO and how it picks up on the sticks. Most older boards have, shall we say, have a Very Basic BIOS (Basic Input/Output Instructions), Most today are pretty extensive, but many are still sorely lacking in availability of options - especially low end mobos and those mobos in 'brand name' computers (Dell, IBM, et al)

If you run through the forums though install instructions could take up an entire book with all the different mobo manufacturers, mobos, BIOSs, BIOS versions, CPU makers, CPU types,, versions, etc, etc, etc. Most RAM makers provide the basic timings and from there your pretty much on your own due to the above mentioned possibilities, which is why most provide forums and support via the net. Then you have those like me, Genetix, 4x64 and others that jump in to help out.

When I do a build for a client, quite often they'll specify a certain set of sticks (and for the oddest reasons at times, i.e. color of heatsink, lowest (fastest) timings, brandname, etc), and just expect it to work fine. What they don't realize is that you take the same set and it may work out of the box in say a Gigabyte mobo and a Q6750, be a real pain to get running with 780i and a phenom or may not run at all with a low end AMD CPU and lower end mobo......that's just life.

And Good God.........prehistoric days.....486's...286's.......at least it could be carried....when I got started they took up a whole room or small building........guess I'm older than prehistoric, maybe Pre-chip-ic

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well, everything was fine with the higher voltage (2.775) for a week or so and then the computer would do the same thing as before: Just hang and do nothing after the RAM size count-off. Sometimes it boots; sometimes it doesn't. Ordered some Kingston. Works fine every time. Old Kingston RAM: Works fine every time. BIOS is the newest. I'm just going to return the Gskill. It's not meant to be for this computer. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Comment

sorry for the inconvenience
            for RMA service, please download the RMA form on our website, fill it out and email bakc to rma@gskill.com
            we'll issue you a RMA number and tell you the further RMA procedure
            thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
            X