Gateway GM5084

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway GM5084

After doing much research, I decided to upgrade my PC's memory to 4GB by installing four F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS. As far as I could tell, they should be compatible. However, upon installing them, the PC wouldn't boot up, it just beeps. Okay, maybe I missed a number and they aren't compatible.

The real problem is when I reinstalled the old memory sticks that came from the factory, the PC still doesn't work, it still just beeps.

Help!

Thanks!

There should be a battery on the motherboard.. uninstall that and then reinstall it, that should reset the BIOS. The memory package you purchased may not operate correctly for that computer since the memory settings can not be adjust in your BIOS. The correct memory package for your computer is the G.Skill F1-3200PHU2-2GBNT. This memory package would be plug and play.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 09-17-2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply!

The memory package you recommended is what I purchased, lol. Reread my post. I hadn't thought of the battery on the motherboard. I tried that and I'm still just getting beeps upon powerup.

This isn't my first try at upgrading memory (I've upped my mom's PC and I worked at Compaq 15 odd years ago), so I know to disconnect every cord from the PC before cracking it open. I'm concerned that I may have static shocked something.

Comment

NT* Sorry, revised it. The memory package you purchased may not be getting enough voltage from your motherboard which is why it is acting as if there is no memory installed. Your motherboard outputs 2.5V for memory while the memory package you purchased needs 2.75V, so .25V less may simply be not enough.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thank you again for your reply and the clarification. However, I've put the original memory sticks that came with the PC back in, and it still just beeps upon powerup. This is after removing the motherboard battery and memory sticks several times.

It's an "old" PC and I was hoping to help it last for a couple more years by upping the memory, because it worked rather well, just slowly. Now I'm thinking of just returning the new sticks and buying a newer PC.

As always, thanks for your help and advice!

Comment

Night check for a CMOS reset jumper on the mobo....resetting the BIOS works on some boards, but some older ones also need the cmos done with a hard reset.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I've never done that before. After a Google, I found this:

To elaborate on the above reply, simply move the jumper momemtarily from the run position to the clear position and return to the run position. Perform this task with the computer unplugged from the wall. Do not attempt to run the computer with the jumper in the clear position or off completely. To locate the jumper you may need to consult your MBoard manual. If you don't have a manual, post back.
              Is this what you are talking about? And frankly, I have no idea what a jumper is.

Comment

Yep, exactly what I was talking about, you may have to pull out your manual or call it up on the net and find the CMOS reset or CMOS jumper...or....they may call it something different, but generally there will be a small spot on your mobo consisting or four upright pins in a 2x2 set. One pair of pins will will be connected to each other with a small plastic block, with an older system (and most newer ones) it will be black..

As indicated above turn the system off, unplug it (and some suggest removing the CMOS battery. Just pull the jumper off, set it on the other two pins, let it sit for appr 15 sec (to be sure) then replace it on the original two pins. Plug it in turn it on and go from there to see what happens, Depending on your BIOS and mobo, it will probably tell you to go to the BIOS....but should read the RAM...if the RAM will work with the board..........hang on........

Okay heres a photo of what it looks like

(edit) Ooops, sorry it's upside down.............should have looked at it first
                Tman
                Attached Files

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Jordan for the jumper!!! swish!!

=)

Comment

It was upside down, since it was going through the net......................

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. The picture is actually not the right one, but I didn't give ya'll the name of this specific motherboard (C51GU01), so it's cool.

I went to the Gateway support page and found the motherboard and jumper. However, it's in an extremely difficult to reach location, between the video card and modem/phone card.

It's been forever since I played around with this type of hardware, but I would have to remove the video card to get to the jumper. As I'm not confident in doing this task, I'll ask a couple of friends who have rebuilt their PC's for help.

Thanks again for your assistance and advice. I'll keep you informed of this matter if you wish.

Comment

Working...
                      X