DDR3 1600 ram sticks running only at 1066 on Foxconn BlackOps mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR3 1600 ram sticks running only at 1066 on Foxconn BlackOps mobo

Hi there, I need help configuring my ram memory to use the full 1600 instead of 1066. I'm using a Foxconn BlackOps motherboard.

My full specs are:

BlackOps X48 LGA 775 Intel Motherboard.
    FSB 1600/1333Mhz
    Memory standard: DDR3 1600
    CPU: Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz
    ATI Radeon 3450 GPU
    Corsair PSU 650W ATX 12V SLI Ready Crossfire Ready 80 PLUS Certified.
    G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ.

This motherboard, by default detects RAM timmings and voltages (which it seems to set to the recommended by G.SKill), but also offers the options to manually set timings and voltages, I have tried both and it doesn't make a difference in the RAM.

The only way for me to get the RAM to around th2 1250's is with Foxconn's software for easy O'clocking. I would like to get my RAM working at full speed with out overclocking. If you could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

You will probably still want to put the timings in manually, and if your CPU is running at 2.4, it mean your running 1066 FSB. Kick the FSB up to 1333 (will put your CPU at 3.0 GHz and raise your vCore and the NB some. That should get you closer to the 1600. May have to make additional adjustments to advanced timings, but just don't think you'll hit it w/ a 1066 FSB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I already tried setting my timings manually but the motherboard won't even post. I even tried using the manual overclocking option in the BIOS and it just doesn't work. If I overclock the CPU the computer restarts several times until the overclocking-recovery feature kicks in and resets my BIOS again. The only way these RAM sticks seem to inrease the speed is when I'm overclocking from within Windows.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS and drivers? They can be found here:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/...D=en-gb0000254

If you go to the manual oC options, you 'll have to increase the voltages I mentioned - vCore and NB.

If you could post screen shots of your current BIOS settings it would help - I'll be out of touch till Wed evening (probably, might pop on here and there depending on job load), but GSkill should be in in the AM and Genetix is like me, he pops in and out

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Make these changes in your BIOS. You FSB is not overclocked high enough for DDR3-1600 so of course memory will not operate at that speed either.

For Manual Overclock Phase Select, change that to Manual OC.
          CPU Clock Ratio Unlock - Enabled
          Set CPU Clock Ratio at 7 X
          Target CPU Core Speed should be showing ~2800MHz
          CPU Clock FSB - 400MHz
          CPU Clock vs. Memory Speed - Manual
          Make sure System Memory Speed shows 1600MHz

Enter Memory Timing Config
          DRAM Timing Selectable - Manual
          tCL - 9
          tRCD - 9
          tRP - 9
          tRAS - 24
          Command Per Clock - 2
          Rest can be AUTO.

Now for Voltages:

CPU Voltage Setting - 1.300V
          CPU VDroop Compensation - Enabled
          CPU PLL Voltage Setting - 1.400V
          NB Voltage Setting - 1.200V
          DRAM Voltage Setting - 1.600V

Save and exit and your computer should be running smoothly.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for all the help received.
            I already tried the settings suggested by GSKILL TECH, my mobo now posts and sends me to thWindows Boot Manager (triple booting XP Professional, Vista and Ubuntu 9.04), but when I tried to boot any of the OS'es it either sends me a blue screen with errors or it simply restarts. Although let me note some differences in my actual BIOS:

CPU CLock Vs. Memory Speed: suggested to manual but I don't have that option the options I have are, 1:2.4, 1:2.665, 1:3, 1:3.2, 1:4 CPU200, 1:4 CPU 266, 1:4 CPU333, 1:4 CPU400

CPU PLL Voltage Setting: suggested to 1.400V, the only options I have, that are close to that are 1.395696V or 1.433418V. There are more options than that but they are higher or lower than the ones I mention.

NB Voltage Setting: suggested to 1.200V, available options are 1.188V or 1.219V

DRAM Voltage Setting: suggested to 1.600V, available options are 1.571V or 1.610V

Thanks for the help again, and I hope this info is helpful to figure this out.

Comment

For CPU Clock vs. Memory Speed, simply make sure the memory frequency shows as 1600. 1:4 would give you the CPU 400:RAM 1600

CPU PLL set that at 1.395696V

NB Voltage set that at 1.219V

DRAM Voltage set that at 1.610V

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Ok, so I tried the settings you recommended and I was having the same issues (blue screens and system rebooting). I also noticed that in your reply you indicated me to set the CPU Clock vs. Memory speed to 1:4, but you never took into consideration that I had mentioned more numbers after the 1:4 (e.g. 200, 266, 333, 400), so I decided to play around with the different options, and finally got it to work using the 1:4 CPU333. I want to note, that I set the CPU Clock Ratio at 6x instead of 7x as recommended. My concern is that I don't have a nice CPU cooler yet, and don't want to fry the CPU . I'm gonna keep testing my rig and let you know if I have any issues. Thanks for all your help so far. You guys rock!!!!

Comment

Ok, I have a probably dumb question, but I'm new to the whole ram timings scene. What difference does it make to have a 1066 RAM vs. a 1600. Thanks again.

Comment

The Q6600 processor is good for 3.2GHz easy on stock CPU fan cooler. Of course I would not recommend settings that would fry your hardware. =)

Regarding your timing question, not sure what you are asking. 1600 is obviously a higher frequency than 1066, thus meaning it is faster. But another thing that affects actual speed is timing (9-9-9-24). The lower the timing, the less clock cycles it is to transfer information. For example, if you were able to reduce the memory timings to 8-8-8-21 on this DDR3-1600 memory, it would be faster than the rated specifications. As a result, DDR3-1600 CL7 is faster than DDR3-1600 CL9. But as speed increases or decreases, the timings change accordingly. The more speed is involved, the higher the latency as well. So if you look at DDR2-1066 for example, latencies are 4, 5, 6, but that does not simply mean they are faster than your DDR3-1600 CL9. Although it takes more clock cycles, the bandwidth is still much higher thus still making it faster than the faster clocked memory.

Hope that sheds some light on "the whole ram timings scene". =)

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Just some thoughts here to add:

On any OC of your Q6600, you will want to keep an eye on temps, especially in the early goings of your OC.

This is probably my favorite CPU of all time, with stock cooler though, in general 3.2 should be good if you have the G0 stepping, if you are running the B3 core ratio I'd hold about 3 GHz. With either for stability, also check your vCore (max listed is 1.5 though they will go higher.

If you upgrade to a better HS/cooler i.e. Freeezer 7 Pro (Arctic cooling, appr $32 at the Egg, or most any of the Zalman 9xxx line (9500, 9700 or up, from $40 on up at the Egg) you can normally utilize the full 9 core ratio and run upwards of 3.6 to 3.8 GHz on air.

Same thing though, keep an eye on temp/vCore, I've got a B3 I picked up when they first released that's been running at 3.6 on air 24/7 for well over a year now on my secondary box.

As to the diff between 1600 and 1066 RAM, you might actually notice a hair of difference in everyday computing, how noticible will to a degree depend on your FSB and CPU speed, the higher it is the more difference you might 'see', but primarily it will show in benchmarks and/or game speeds with the higher possibly gaining a FPS, but again the real gains you'll see will come from the FSB/CPU and going from 1066/2.4GHz to 1600/3.6GHz is fantastic.
                      Last edited by Tradesman; 09-17-2009, 08:33 PM.

Tman

Comment

As posted before, my system seemed to have worked, with the config. that was suggested to me. After several days of trials, I keep having issues with the RAM. There are times where the PC won't post, until O.C.'ing recovery in my mobo kicks in and I get to the BIOS, reset all the settings to get the RAM to 1600mhz and restart the PC. There are other times that the previous step doesn't do anything, and I need to actually open the case to take out the memory sticks swap them and restart the PC. I feel that sticks might be at fault, I have even tried to install in different memory configurations, (single channel: RAM slot 1 and 2, and dual channel: slots 1 and 3.). Also, I thought that temps were the problem because my system is well vented that it barely gets to 43 C, but the mobo has a COLD BOOT BUG FIX option that I enabled, which is supposed to be for extreme cooling or systems running under 50 C. I need your help again, please I want to figure this out. Thanks.

Comment

May sound off the wall, but have you tried in slots 2-4? also what tRFC have you settled on at this point?

Tman

Comment

I haven't tried 2 and 4, I'll give it a shot. As for the tRFC I have in auto, that's what was suggested to me. Do you have any suggestions?

Comment

I'd try in 2-4 first thing...if that doesn't work may go back to 1-3 and set the tRFC to either 127.5ns or 64 depending on how they rate the tRFC (in ns (127.5 or whatever available is closest) or ticks (64)

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X