Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA770T and F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT segfaults

Hello,

I am using F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT RAM on my Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P board under Linux and encounter segfaults (crashes) from time to time. I tested the memory with both memtest86 and memtest86+ and they find no errors. I also tested both BIOS revisions F1 and F3 and F1 gives me less crashes as it looks.
    The problem is that the board does not supply the 1.5 volt that are needed by the RAM. According to the bios it is running at 1.616 V. Can this be an issue? What settings should I change to get it stable?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    EDIT: The memory settings in the BIOS are all set to auto. I tried increasing the RAM voltage as I read here this might help, but it made things worse.

mwallace
    Last edited by mwallace; 09-12-2009, 06:25 AM.

Would help to know what CPU you are running, but in the meantime I'll start by saying it's hard to get AMD CPUs to 1066 RAM and higher, with that in mind..............

To start, you'll want to enter the stock timings manually (not through auto, of 9-9-9-24. the RAM voltage at 1.5 (maybe 1.6), command rate at 2T (or 2N) and start with the sticks in slots 1-2 (may want to try 3-4 as an alternative as some of these mobos lean towards the 3-4 setup for some odd reason).

You'll also want to set the memory clock manually....and may want to start at 800 (400) and work your way up. I say this, because in all likelyhood it will run at 800 fine. If so, then try at 1066 (533), if you have problems at that speed, then you'll want to test each stick individually and/or play with the voltages to the RAM and/or CPU as well as the advance timings i.e. w/ 4 GB up the tRFC to 64 or 127.5 depending on how the setting is indicated.

Anyway, I'd start out this way and keep us posted on the results. GSkill is off on weekends, but pops in and out on occasion, I'll be around and checking in 2-3 times during the day and Genetix will probably pop in a few times over the weekend.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok, I'll test these settings. My CPU is a PhenomII X4 905e. And of course I do no OC :-)

Thanks for the help for now.

mwallace

Comment

So, I did a lot of checks and it seems I finally found out where the problem is: One of the modules seems to cause the trouble. I removed one of them yesterday and the machine did not crash any more during the whole day and under strong load. This morning I swapped the module with the removed one and the problems came back.

What now?

Comment

I had the same trouble ...drove me nuts....i flashed to f2.....in f2....you can set the volts to 1.5....fixed it for me. you would think f3 ( being the newest flash ) would have this...but it doesnt. Flash to f2....It worked for me !!!

Comment

@topdogs: hmm, that might be worth another try, on the other hand F2 is known to cause overvolting. I highly suspect that the second module is really broken as I already read several times that currently there exists a problem with one module being defective.

Comment

i wish you luck my friend....i was banging my head against the wall with this problem...ive checked all the volts for the system in f2 bios....everything is fine...also before flashing to f2....i couldnt get her to pass prime95 for more then 10 minutes...now its rock solid. Ran prime95 overnight again for 7 hours. My ram volts are set to 1.5...its interesting that f3 ...and f1....wont let you go lower then 1.62 worked for me....hope it works for you.
              Patrick

Comment

i double checked volts...all is fine...ohhh...the f2 bios flash is called f2b..now....interesting

Comment

f2b probably indicates a beta, so you'll want to keep an eye on their site for a final or updated version, glad it seems to have cleared up the problem

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I flashed f2 (did not find f2b anywhere). It shows 1.5V now indeed as an option, but in the hardware monitor it is still on 1,6x V. I ran my tests again and it crashed once more, with both modules installed.

Comment

here is the link...http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/bio...21.html....but if f2 didnt help....im not sure f2b will.....but here it is...if link doesnt work...google it.

Comment

link might not work .....google gigabyte bios f2b....make sure its for our board

Comment

I tried f2 first, being newer and I thought the fixes should be in there, too. Well they were not. It still crashed. Going to f2b brought some improvements (no crashes within minutes), but sadly the problem is not gone completely with this version. I will send my memory back and ask for an exchange. I can not run the machine in this unstable state.

Comment

im sorry to hear that bro....i know its frustrating...hopefully the new sticks will do it...im going to list my system specs today to let you know what im running...just so you can compare...i think you are right that you have a bad stick
                            Pat

Comment

Working...
                            X