MB DDR mismatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MB DDR mismatch

I have a HP motherboard SP#351087-001. I changed the 2.8 chip to a 2.8 HT chip for some added speed. It worked great and I didn't have to re format. Then I installed G-Skill DDR 400 PC 3200 memory. I filled all four slots with one gig sticks of F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX. Two packs containing two 1 gig sticks each. It was very expensive. MY 32 bit XP pro only shows 2.62 gigs of usable memory. I had the system scanned and all four gigs were found by the scan. I had someone (who knew where to look) go into the bios and try to adjust the settings. The readings indicate that there is 2.62 gigs of 333mz memory. There do not seem to be any adjustments. Now what do I do? I wanted to use G-Skill memory because of the chips. They are labeled as coming from the same company that put their sticker on it.

The memory package you purchased will require 2.75V for DDR400, since you can not increase voltage, that may be why it is operating at DDR333 instead. Regarding the capacity at 2.62GB, you will need to make sure you do not have virtual memory allocated elsewhere.

Go to your System tab in Control Panel and see what is it showing there. You may have the memory allocated elsewhere for video and such.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I did as you said and found something. System Properties/advance/performance options/advance Virtual memory There is a message that states "A paging file is an area on a hard disk that windows uses as if it were ram. Total page file size for all drives 2046 MB" There is an option to change. I did not know of such a thing. What is that?

Comment

To reduce lag and such it creates a buffer and sets aside some hard disk space so that when under extreme load it can borrow some of that memory to process faster in case memory runs out.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

O.K. good. I have a couple of more questions. First; is there a way to change the bios so that the adjustments can be made to maximize the memory? I spent the money to get more speed and would like to have it. Second; If not what memory do you recommend? I found out that my motherboard came from a HP DX2000MT

Comment

Nothing

I have waited for a few days for a response. I was hoping to be able to keep this memory. I will have to sell it then and get memory that is plug and play for my board. It is too bad that the G-skill memory that I bought is not. It does not make sense that memory is made that is not plug and play for DDR. I would suspect that the normal buyer is looking for plug and play style memory to upgrade with.

Comment

You can check w/ the mobo manufacturer to see if a BIOS upgrade is available (but if it's HP, it's doubtful). As to your system only seeing 2.62 GB of RAM you are prob running XP in a 32bit flavor, the most you can 'see' with a 32 Windows is somewhere between 2.5 and about 3.25GB of RAM, it varies depending on the mobo and how well the BIOS is integrated to the chipset.

The biggest problem you have is that the mobo is an older HP and the BIOS is oriented to specific modules that HP has specified, in other words the board is set up for propriatary components, HP, Compaq and Dell all used to do this but were finally basically forced to drop the practice based on customer outcries.

Depending on what CPU you have, you may be better off looking for a stock type mobo that will use your current RAM/CPU combo, which might get you up closer to the 3GB of RAM that 32bit XP can see/use. From it being PC 3200 I'd guess you are running a P4, Celeron or maybe one of the early Dual-Core CPUs (if Intel), either socket 775 or 478, if so could get a mobo for $45-60 or so. If you are running AMD, I'd have to check...Don't really deal to much with AMD

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for a response Tradesman. The only thing that I can find for motherboards are used. I tried the one from geeks that works for the processor that I have but the bios was bad for that as well. The CPU fan was stuck on high and could not be adjusted. I have an Intell 2.8 P4 with hyperthreading socket 478 as a processor. Do you have a source for new motherboards for the DDR age stuff? The motherboard listing at newegg is BIOSTAR P4M900M4 478 VIA P4M900 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail. I did not have good luck with it when I bought it from geeks. It did not accept the memory that I have anyway.

Comment

Will check my sources and get back prob Sunday afternoon, know a builder in FL that's been sitting on a stack on 478 boards, see if he still some

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Man, I went to check on this thread today and ran into a bunch of racy stuff...woo!.. I am happy that you are willing to help. Thank you. There are probably a bunch of small repair shops that would have something laying around. These small shops seem to be springing up in every town now. Kind of reminds me of the old CD days where mt dad had a repair shop. It is a matter of right place/right time for these old parts now. I should have gone to something a little newer. Duel core build parts seem pretty inexpensive at the on line distributor level. I can't believe the price difference between DDR memory and the newer ones. I could have something much better for the same money that I spent refurbishing this thing.

Comment

Just got rid of that junk you saw, been running most of the day. Got two replies so far, both negative, am still waiting for my FL to come back, and another I know. Bout all I've seen is the BioSstar you saw at the Egg. Seems like they dried up pretty fast, seems to be some refurbs out there.....but, not sure I'd trust them much. Will get back later this PM

Tman

Comment

I have feelers out in a search to find a motherboard as well. One will turn up.

Comment

Nothing yet...my FL source struck out, apparently he used the boards he had to build mail servers for a couple places in Palm Beach

Tman

Comment

Still looking too. Know anyone who would like to buy this memory? I found another brand that is plug and play.

Comment

Working...
                            X