Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 GB of Ripjaw-Series on P55 mainboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 GB of Ripjaw-Series on P55 mainboards?

Hello,
    is it possible to run 8 GB Ripjaw DDR3 12800 (1.65V) or DDR3 10666 (1.5V) on P55 mainboards (Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4, MSI P55-GD65)?

Kind Regards,
    Shatterhand

I'd say yes to the Gigabyte, and probably yes to the MSI - the Ripjaws are suppose to be set up for the P55 chipset. The 'probably' with the MSI mobo is based on spotty issues I've run into here and there with a variety of their mobos.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Would you say I can run 2 kits (8GB) of F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH at 1600MHz, 7-7-7-24, around 1.65 volts?
      Or at least 2 kits of F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL?
      Mobo would be Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5.

As a sidenote, I'm a worrying person and would really like for G.SKILL TECH to chime in as well :-D

Comment

I'd say yes to both, GSkill should be in Fri AM and could prob provide more specific feedback, i.e. they may have tested the combo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks.
          In that case, I'll add a bonus question as well:

How about 4 sticks of F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ in the same mobo? Might have to get those in case I get a big CPU cooler next to the slots. I see they're on Gigabyte's supported memory list, but I'm worried about the voltages. They are advertised @ 1.5 - 1.8V.
          Will they run the rated specs @ 1.65V ?
          Last edited by amisnaru; 10-02-2009, 04:34 AM.

Comment

You should be able to run 8GB on any of the three sets you selected. Although the CL9 versions would probably be more tolerable with 8GB. The motherboard may have issues operating 8GB of CL7, and may need fine tuning to do so.

The NQ should not have any issues operating at 1.65V, but either way I would go with the RipJaws series since they are our latest technology.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

The cooler you select could play into it, have anything particular in mind?

Tman

Comment

Yeah, the Noctua U12P SE2, or something unreleased that will probably be equally huge.

I read on another forum that only a DIMM without a heatsink will fit in the slot closest to the Noctua, and conveniently the guy was using a GA-P55-UD5.

I guess I'm gonna have to go with the older NQ's if I want 8GB. What are the real differences between those and RipJaws of the same advertised specs? NQ's need more voltage?
                Last edited by amisnaru; 10-03-2009, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Newer ICs, change in the HS design, lower voltage, the NQs offer a higher voltage threshhold which would provide a little extra wiggle room for getting stable. All three are designed with the P55 in mind so that's good. What type of OC are you going to be looking for? Think I might try and judge HS based on performance to the task rather than looking for an unreleased based on size....offers more freedom of choice in RAM/HS. There are many proven CPU/HSs available with a smaller footprint.

Tman

Comment

Actually, I just read the FAQ on Noctua's site, and turns out I can just move the fan upwards on the face of the heatsink if RAM modules don't fit.

So RipJaws it is. Rest assured I'll be back (with my own thread) if anything goes wrong :-D

Your forum support seems to be every bit as good as I had heard. Thanks!

Comment

Even if you have no problems, hop in from time to time, always some interesting info being passed.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X