Newb Question - Wiondows 7 - 64bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Question - Wiondows 7 - 64bit

Hey everyone, first off it's been a few years since i've built my own computer and I'm completely new to the SSD thing so bear with me =)

I'm running Windows 7 64bit Enterprise.

Which registry tweaks for speed are going to be applicable to my OS?

Last, I will be running Ableton 8 music production software, so you have an idea of what i'm going to use my system for.

Thanks in advance all,

Brian

Windows 7 is SSD aware and as such you dont "need" to make any changes, im running W7 64bit with no tweaks and it runs great

Comment

Originally posted by UKDTweak View Post
      Windows 7 is SSD aware and as such you dont "need" to make any changes, im running W7 64bit with no tweaks and it runs great
      Yeah, of course it runs fine without making any tweaks. But the point of making the tweaks is to help minimize the performance loss, not to make it faster. That's why you move the the location of the temporary files, the Page File (or just disable it), that's why you disable Windows Defrag as well as everything else that you should do.

Windows does indeed natively support SSDs, but it doesn't automatically optimize itself for SSDs, so that's why it's important to perform these tweaks so that we can enjoy the maximum performance from our SSDs for a longer period of time.

Comment

Actually, Windows 7 disables Defrag on the SSD automatically so you dont need to!! Unless it is not detected properly.

Comment

TwoCables may have mentioned Defrag because Win7 does at times miss the SSD on various motherboards depending on whether it goes in as AHCI or IDE emulation, or the mobo has a proprietary controller option (i.e. Gigabyte) and/or it's straight up or in a RAID config.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
            TwoCables may have mentioned Defrag because Win7 does at times miss the SSD on various motherboards depending on whether it goes in as AHCI or IDE emulation, or the mobo has a proprietary controller option (i.e. Gigabyte) and/or it's straight up or in a RAID config.
            Yup, win7 64bit (RC, 7100), lenovo t400, and defrag was scheduled and raring to go, I'm not sure why it didn't pick up the drive, maybe 1571 doesn't work with win7 trim?

I've just disabled defrag, everything else is good, this ssd makes windows scream (in a good way, not a 'I've just opened the door to a vampire' way).

Comment

For the most part it lies in the BIOS and how the mobo manufacturer tweaks it, will be seeing more BIOS updates as the official Win7 release nears

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                Oh. I mentioned it because of SSD Tweaks ver 1.2, and because it was enabled when I installed Windows 7 on my Falcon.

Comment

Working...
                X