Falcon CRC help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon CRC help...

Hi everybody. I've been working with G.Skill tech support on an issue and was wondering if anybody else out there has been experiencing something similar. I've included my communications with G.Skill below:

Hi
    I have spoken with tech support and they suggested that I summarize the issue I'm having in an email and send it here.

I bought a G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD from Newegg about 3 weeks ago and installed it in a Mac. At first it seemed to be running fine and apps/OS boot was noticeably faster but after a little bit of uses I noticed that I was seeing pauses in responsiveness and "spinning beachballs" much more often than I was on the Western Digital Black 500GB drive I was previously using. I ran diagnostics on the drive and the SMART status showed thousands of CRC errors. Newegg sent me a new drive and after installing that one I immediately saw the same thing, any time I would use the drive the CRC errors would grow. Here are the things I've tried thus far:

Requested a new drive and still got CRC errors.
    Made sure drive was running 1571 firmware
    Tried two different SATA cables
    Moved the drive to a PC running Windows XP
    Tried the drive on it's own channel
    Tried the drive with no other drives hooked up
    Tried the drive as an OS boot drive and just a storage drive
    Tried the drive as SATA and PATA in BIOS
    Wiped drive and ran TRIM on it
    Moved it to another Mac (different from the first)

None of the above things made the CRC errors stop happening. The other SATA drives in each of the systems reported 0 CRC erros and both of the SSDs Newegg sent quickly got up in to the thousands of CRC errors range. In general when I would copy around 100MB of data to the SSD or from it the SMART status would show anywhere from 4 to 10 new CRC errors.
    Is there something else I can try to resolve the issue or is it possible that I just got two bad drives in a row and should RMA it?

Thanks so much for your help
    The response I got was to re-flash the drive even though I had tried two different drives. I re-flashed with 1571 and it didn't fix the problem. Is anybody else out there seeing a lot of CRC errors?

Thanks!

Sounds like a bad drive, though a number of people have had problems with the drives and MACs. Have you thought of trying it in a PC, just to see. Were the MACs different models...OSs??

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah, trying a PC was the fourth thing listed above. The Macs were different models and were both running 10.5.8.
      G.Skill just issued an RMA, so I'm hopeful that the new drive will do the trick. But having gone through 2 drives already I'm a little skeptical.
      Has anybody else on the board checked their SMART status to see if they're getting CRC errors as well? I'm wondering if it might be happening for others but they haven't noticed it yet.

-D

Comment

Working...
      X