Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TridentZ RGB new prob. Turn LED off in sleep modes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TridentZ RGB new prob. Turn LED off in sleep modes?

IS THERE NO WAY TO SHUT OFF THE RGB LED's when in sleep, hibernate, or standby modes on these ram modules? How has no one noticed this and started complaining about this on the official forums yet, myself aside!? like having these bright leds shut off when computer hibernates/ stands by/or is a low power states, when not in use, etc is extremely important wouldn't you think? How could this issue of the LEDs forever being on even when in these stand by states possibly be over looked when these ram sticks were in development?

I have searched and experimented every way possible. But it appears there is no way to have the LED's automatically Shut off when your computer enters sleep or hibernating states. if the computer is on and not turned physically off the LED's on the ram stick will ALWAYS be on, despite hibernating,sleep or stand by modes etc.

This issue HAS to be addressed!

on a related note:

asus did their RGB correctly allowing their mother board RGB LEDs on their asus rog strix z270f the ability to automatically be turned off when computer enters idle states/sleep/hibernation by enabling erp mode in bios and selecting low power states in S4&S5.

G.Skill Plz address this issue not just for the sake of the longevity of my ram modules' LED's, but also i Like to leave my computer running at night allowing it to go to sleep on it's own in my room. It is terribly distracting to have these LED's blaring even when my computer is in sleep mode from idling when i myself am trying to go to sleep, but still want my computer on in a low power state hibernation/stand by mode/idle mode.

FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT, b4 I am forced to go non RGB. RGB are sooo awsome, love it when it is in use, but even MY GFX card's RGB lights TURN OFF when my computer goes into idle mode like come on my GFX for pete sake and my mb RGB lights with some bios fiddling both shut off in hibernating states

SOO TOO DO THESE NEED THIS ABILITY, it makes these power/rgb led saving features on my board and gfx completely pointless by having ram that has leds that don't function in the same manner, come on!

I agree it would be better if they were off in sleep mode, but assume the power draw of leds is quite low. I think windows sends all running apps a message that it is going to sleep so the gskill software should be able to see that.

As a work around until that is fixed in some later release if you set the GSkill Pattern to Music (which is awesome)- i.e the lights are controlled via audio, they are off when no music is playing and therefore off when system sleeps.

Comment

Good point on sleep. We'll let the team know about this and see if we can handle it like ASUS.

Comment

Seems like turning off memory LEDs before sleep won't be possible via software.

The main reason is that LEDs draw power from the DRAM slots, and during sleep, the system continues to provide power to memory (in order to preserve system state). And there's no way for the software to automatically detect when the system decides to go into the sleep state, and because the OS won't alert software that it's going into sleep. Other devices, like graphic cards and motherboards, are able to turn off during sleep mode is mainly due to the OS cutting power to those devices; not because it's built into the software.

Hibernation, on the other hand, should copy all memory data into the hard drive to retain system state, and cutting off power to the memory modules. So the LEDs should turn off in hibernation, but it may mess with the software when the system wakes up. We're still looking into this. During wake from hibernation, the information is copied from the hard drive back to memory.

Comment

Originally posted by G.SKILL View Post
          there's no way for the software to automatically detect when the system decides to go into the sleep state

I have some experience with the old days of programming windows directly in C and my first reaction is I am not sure that I agree.

You can override the WndProc method which will allow to interact with all the events that the OS tends to provide to the application on different conditions.

The Windows OS communicates with the application by sending different messages which need to be captured and worked on. I believe you would need to capture the WM_POWERBROADCAST (0x0218) value which will specify that this is a power event change and that then capture the WParam which can have the following values:

PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND (0x0000)
          PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND (0x0007)
          PBT_APMQUERYSTANDBY (0x0001)
          PBT_APMQUERYSUSPENDFAILED (0x0002)
          PBT_APMQUERYSTANDBYFAILED (0x0003)
          PBT_APMSUSPEND (0x0004)
          PBT_APMSTANDBY (0x0005)
          PBT_APMRESUMECRITICAL (0x0006)
          PBT_APMRESUMESTANDBY (0x0008)
          PBTF_APMRESUMEFROMFAILURE (0x00000001)
          PBT_APMBATTERYLOW (0x0009)
          PBT_APMPOWERSTATUSCHANGE (0x000A)
          PBT_APMOEMEVENT (0x000B)
          PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC (0x0012)

These values will help to manage the application data when a power management event occurs of which going to sleep is one.

Hope this helps!
          Last edited by sono; 03-30-2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sono View Post
            I have some experience with the old days of programming windows directly in C and my first reaction is I am not sure that I agree.

You can override the WndProc method which will allow to interact with all the events that the OS tends to provide to the application on different conditions.

The Windows OS communicates with the application by sending different messages which need to be captured and worked on. I believe you would need to capture the WM_POWERBROADCAST (0x0218) value which will specify that this is a power event change and that then capture the WParam which can have the following values:

PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND (0x0000)
            PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND (0x0007)
            PBT_APMQUERYSTANDBY (0x0001)
            PBT_APMQUERYSUSPENDFAILED (0x0002)
            PBT_APMQUERYSTANDBYFAILED (0x0003)
            PBT_APMSUSPEND (0x0004)
            PBT_APMSTANDBY (0x0005)
            PBT_APMRESUMECRITICAL (0x0006)
            PBT_APMRESUMESTANDBY (0x0008)
            PBTF_APMRESUMEFROMFAILURE (0x00000001)
            PBT_APMBATTERYLOW (0x0009)
            PBT_APMPOWERSTATUSCHANGE (0x000A)
            PBT_APMOEMEVENT (0x000B)
            PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC (0x0012)

These values will help to manage the application data when a power management event occurs of which going to sleep is one.

Hope this helps!

I 100% agree
            Intel i7 6700K
            Gigabyte Z270 Ultra Gaming
            32 GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB 2400
            Intel m.2 NVMe 256GB
            (2) 10TB Seagate storage HDDs

Comment

Thanks. We'll pass this information on, and see what the team says.

Comment

I'm surprised to see more people aren't asking about this.

I would also like to shut off the RGB LEDs. I regularly put my PC to sleep and the RAM LEDs continue to stay lit up. I changed a setting in the BIOS (ASUS Crosshair VI Hero) that turnes off all RGB lights in sleep, but the ram still remains on.

All LEDs have a lifespan, and having these on 24/7 might not be good. Please release a way to shut off these lights at night. They look spectacular! But I want them to last at least 8 years and stay looking as bright and colorful as they do today.

Thanks!
                Last edited by VATX; 04-04-2017, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Just discovered this for myself, and equally baffled as to why it wasn't considered/implemented.

While not a big fan of the RGB craze I do find the look of the Trident Z RGB sticks to be pretty awesome, but I'm seriously regretting my purchase based on the fact they don't turn off when the computer enters sleep mode. This has to be addressed, or I'll be looking elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X