Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using G Keys/Macro Keys With Another Button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using G Keys/Macro Keys With Another Button?

Hello.
    A few days ago I got a G.Skill KM780 RGB, and I was going to try using the macro keys to open different applications.

However, I am not yet used to the slightly different layout of the keyboard, and I inadvertently press some of the keys (G2 especially) instead of Esc or Caps Lock.

Is there a way to set up the macro keys so that I have to press another button at the same time to use them. For example, if I wanted to use G1 to open Firefox, I would have to hold down Left Alt first them press G1 for it to work.

I might be able to get it to work using a 3rd party program like AutoHotkey, but I was hoping I could use the G.Skill software.

Hi,

Unfortunately, there's no way to add Alt or another activation key for macros via our software. At the moment, it would require a major rewrite of the device, as well as affecting other features of the keyboard.

One thing we did before we got used to the keyboard was to limit the macro-key usage to G4-G6 until we got the hang of the distance for keys like Tab and Esc.

Alternatively, if you're using Windows, you can use the built in Windows Global Hotkey feature to open applications, which should be available in Windows 7, 8, and 10. (You can right click on any program or the program shortcut, go into Properties, and under the "Shortcut" tab, there's a "Shortcut Key" setting. Click into that and press a key combination, then click "OK" to set it as a global shortcut hotkey.) Here's a more thorough guide: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/cr...uts-windows-10

Hope this helps.

Comment

Huh, I don't know how I missed that Windows feature, thanks!
      I usually have AutoHotkey running anyway in the background (I have an old-school Doom-style setup for FPS game which sometimes requires a bit of workaround with some game), so if the Windows shortcut thing doesn't work I can always fall back to AHK.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X