Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR4 for x99; goal is 3200

Hello all.

Building a brand new rig around a i7 6800k (broadwell-e 6core) and a new Asus x99-E motherboard. It supports DDR4 speeds up to 3200 so that was my goal.

I understand QVL but I also understand that memory doesn't have to be on there to work. There is no QVL yet for my motherboard, as its pretty new.

I've had some people tell me it doesn't matter which memory I get, as long as I get a quad channel kit so all the memory matches and is from the same batch. I've had others tell me only Trident Z's will work on x99. I've had others say only Ripjaw 4's will work on x99...and of course Googling all this, I've seen many users have Ripjaw V's work perfectly fine on their x99 setup (in quad channel.)

I've been building computers for years and never had any issues with combining 2 kits or even brands for that matter, but then again I've never built or messed with DDR4 or the newest platforms so I don't know how sensitive it is to these things.

I want 32GB of DDR4-3200 for my 6800k + x99. I'd like CL16

Any insight and/or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

anyone?

really?

Comment

G.SKILL sent me this when I emailed them about running F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW on a X99 board: "Yes, the new colored Trident Z kits are designed for X99 and your motherboard. Pick one on the G.Skill QVL list and you should have great results."
      The Goods

Comment

Dear Customer,

With ASUS X99-E WS and i7-6800K, we would suggest to run at 2800MHz with 32GB(8GBx4). Please visit our website for the compatible rams below:

http://www.gskill.com/en/finder?cat=...prop_3=2800MHz

Thank you.

Comment

As long as the memory kit shows quad channel, it can work for X99. But as far as reaching full RAM specifications, it is recommended to use a motherboard on the G.Skill QVL list. Otherwise if a motherboard is not certified, you may need to attempt manual settings/tweaks, and you should be aware it may not be fully capable of the rated specifications of the RAM.

Check both manufacturer's QVL to see which memory kits have been tested to be fully compatible. You can purchase a 3200 kit to see if the system is capable, but if not, you can run it at a lower frequency such as 2800/3000 and wait to see if a BIOS/EFI update can push it up to 3200. Unfortunately, without that particular motherboard for testing we can not be completely certain of it's capabilities just yet.

Keep us posted on the result, we will be glad to help.

Comment

There are just new kits hitting the market that are on your QVL and will run at 3200 at 14CAS - very fast. Go to newegg and look up F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW.

I have used the dual-channel kit in my x99 deluxe and am running at 3000 13CAS, which is great and stable. If I had to do it again, I'd get the quad channel kit mentioned above, but it was not available at the time.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X