Ripjaws 4 Series on a Z170

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaws 4 Series on a Z170

I have a set of G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) Model F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
    More specifically THIS KIT

I'm using them with an Asus Z170-E mobo / 6700k cpu with a Noctua NH-D14 heatsink.
    Noctua NH-D14
    Asus Z170-E

Now the reason I chose the Ripjaws 4 Series was because the Ripjaws V Series didn't look like they would fit under my Noctua NH-D14 cooler.
    (and I can just forget about even looking at the TridentZ Series with air cooling...not a chance!)

Anyway, the G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series are working fine with the XMP profile set on my Asus Z170 mobo with no issues besides being a bit lower in read/write/copy than they should be for DDR4 3000.
    (I'm assuming that's just because they aren't really "tuned" correctly for this dual channel chipset, and they're "tuned" more for quad channel compatibility)

At the time when I ordered I didn't realize that some DDR4 timings were "tuned" for the Z170 chipset and others were "tuned" for the X99 chipset, I chose the memory based on what was low profile enough to fit under my NH-D14 heatsink.

So, finally after typing all of that, my question is...
    1: Should I manually set the correct "tuned" timings on the Ripjaw 4 ram to match the Z170 chipset?
    2: And if so, what timings should i use?
    I have no problems with manually setting the timings/sub timings, i see no reason to RMA perfectly good memory for no reason, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Note: Please when designing high performance memory in the future, could you please make low profile versions also available for those of us who are on air and have abandoned water cooling....Thanks!
    (ie: pumps suck, they die! Heatsinks don't die!)
    Last edited by mtdew332; 07-08-2016, 03:38 PM.

1: Yes, always.
    2: Exactly as stated on the RAM.

Comment

Working...
    X