Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TridentZ 3400C16D-16GTZ causes Windows 10 BSOD with XMP

Hello team,

I am a bit frustrated here. I could really use your help.

I just bought "a new system".

Here is the load out.

New components:
    - Core i7-6700K
    - MSI XPower Titanium board (latest BIOS 1.6)
    - TridentZ 3400C16D-16GTZ
    - Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512G

Kept from "old system"
    Full Size HAF Case
    Rosewilll Tachyon 1K PWS
    Corsair H105 cooler
    EVGA Titan X hybrid (with built in water cooling)
    Samsung 850 512G SSD
    Samsung 830 512G SSD

Here is my issue.

Assembled system, ensured all power was connected, etc.

Did quick boot into BIOS test, established all was working properly, flashed to new 1.6 BIOS and then went back into BIOS to enable RAID and M.2 mode and UEFI Only. Booted up in UEFI, installed Windows 10 Pro, used WU to get all drivers (except NVidia).

Went to BIOS and enabled XMP (nothing else after baseline config to get up and running). Booted into Windows and had all sorts of instability. Mainly boot issues with not finding correct boot drivers, BSOD, etc. Disabled XMP, resumed normal functional behavior.

I am a bit disappointed. All the videos on YouTube and all the articles I read on this said that the XMP worked flawlessly. I even double checked on the MSI compatibility list to ensure this memory was compatible. It read that it was.

I don't know if this is a memory issue or a MSI issue. Right now, I am running it at the 3200 mode with 1.36v setting and BF still crashes after a while of playing and Windows still has instability issues.

Can you please help? Please let me know what troubleshooting steps I can do and what screen caps / system information you need.

Thanks in advance,
    -Walt

you can even use the bios beta 1.91

http://www.station-drivers.com/index...id=169&lang=en

but before I would make a manual adjustment of memory parameters

manually puts :

memory frequency : 3400
    dram voltage : 1.35 ( max 1.4 )
    io voltage : 1.280
    sa voltage : 1.270
    Last edited by noubazor; 04-29-2016, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

I'll give the manual config a shot for sure.

However, I think it's a deeper issue then that. XMP is supposed to do this for me, right? Doesn't it change all that for me automatically?

Again, thank you, I'll try it out and see what I get.

Is it too early to think that I received some "bad" memory sticks?

-W

Comment

MSI to problems with the implementation of the xmp profile

for my MSI z170a gaming pro, with the lastet bios "whql"1.8 :

xmp profile not work ( my dram voltage does not automatically change)
        at manualy set memory, no error (memtest)

the bios beta 1.91 or 1.92, xmp work

Comment

Noubazor,

Thank you for taking the time to assist me. I normally don't like to put Beta on my system so I will set the memory like you mentioned and wait for the release of the new BIOS to use XMP.

Thank you so much.

-Walt

Comment

Quick update.

I just received a new set of the exact same memory from Amazon.com. Sending back the old set.

Guess what, the new set is behaving as badly as the old set when using XMP. What are the chances, so... I believe this is an MSI issue. I've even tried to set the information in the BIOS memory profile manually as suggested but this also doesn't work.

Sucks to pay so much money that it doesn't work as advertised. I am very disappointed.

Now I have a support ticket open with MSI. We'll see how far I get with them.

Comment

Have you tried XMP enabled, but lower frequency to 3200 3000 or etc to see what can work?

This can give us some idea of what's going on

Comment

I also am having similar issues. I have nearly the same setup except for the RAM kit. I'm using the F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ.

I cannot get my system to boot with any setting except for the "default" settings. I've entered the timings and voltage manually with and without XMP turned out. A couple of times I could boot past the BIOS but windows would hang up.

All 4 sticks act the same when installed 1 at a time in DIMM slot 2 as recommended by MSI with single stick.

MSI Titanium Z170 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM BIOS 1.7
                i7-6700K
                F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ
                Samsung 950 PRO M.2
                Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Make sure to use the latest beta BIOS

Comment

Where is a good site to get the latest Beta BIOS? Google has a few returns but none looks trustworthy.

Thanks!

Comment

The 1.7 final version should include all changes up to beta 1.74. You can always ask the MSI support for help, too.
                      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Always ask the manufacturer directly. They should have something up their sleeve. =)

Comment

Working...
                        X