Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which bird (Falcon) to buy? 64GB or 128GB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which bird (Falcon) to buy? 64GB or 128GB?

Hi Guys

Been reading A LOT about our falcon drives vs other sdd's and i love it but so far most tested are the 128GB and 256GB versions as they are the fastest, while the 64GB is somewhat slower on the writing side (only?)..

anywho, im about to get myself my first SDD, and i can not decide to get either the 128GB or the 64GB. is it really that much of a difference? i can see the benchmarks and the theoretical speeds, but i can't seem to get a good idea of the real world difference of these drives.. i love the 128GB reviews but since im getting the slower 64GB im afraid to get disappointed..

I only need the 64GB coz this is inteded to replace my raptor 74GB as my OS and CACHE drive.. (cache coz i do a lot of Flash, and video rendering and the likes .. and i need lots of speed during these renders) .. and perhaps put on there the games that im constantly/frequently playing

So..
    1) How far behind is the 64GB real world?

2) is it only the WRITE speed that's a problem w/ the 64GB? Coz if it's just write, i think i can live w/ it.. XP boot times, startup of proggies, and other stuffs will stil be top notch right?

3) will i even notice the difference between if i were to use each drive for a month? - again i do web development, renderings, etc.. and tons of Yahoo Messenger activity (I am a dealer for PC parts and Custom PC builder ..and yes we carry GSKILL!!)

4) Is there any tweak/hack that can make the 64GB run like the 128GB? like a processor OClock? or is this hardware thing alredy?

Again I am an hardcore PC enthusiasts but just getting into the SSD realm.. so yeah it feels good to be NOOB again haha

TJ
    Intel Q9550 E0 @ 4.0Ghz 24/7OC
    Maximus II Formula
    2x2GB Team Dark 1066mhz
    Primary: 74GB WD Raptor (Insert FALCON here)
    Storage:
    1TB WD Black-BackUp Drive
    1TB SAMSUNG F1-Entertainment Drive
    500GB WD 2.5" via External Silverstone MS05 (Work Drive)
    PALIT GTX285
    Gigabyte Odyn Pro 800w
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 Chassis

I went with a Falcon 64g, at the time it was $180 on newegg. I was amazed at the speed of this thing. On a fresh windows 7 install in was loading windows in 8-10 seconds. 4 weeks later im getting a max read of 227mbs and write of 112mbs. Some days it slows down (occording to the benchmarks) but i dont see any real world slow downs. Just as fast as first day.
    I have build 3 gaming PC's overclocked, tweaked, you name it i have done. But non of the overclocking, cpu, ram or other upgrades compares to this.
    This has been the best upgrade i have done to my pc. I looking to buy a second for a raid 0 array.
    Buy what you can afford 64g or 128g. But you will not notice the difference in speed. There only a few mbs.( Not in the real world at least)
    I had 2 velociraptors on raid 0 using windows 7. My avarege read was 200mbs. Access time 7.2ms
    The Falcon makes the raptors look silly.

Comment

Working...
    X