KM780 RGB Keyboard Problem on Key Assignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KM780 RGB Keyboard Problem on Key Assignment

I've just bought a new KM 780 RGB keyboard and after installing the software I went to try some of the options.
    I started with the key assignment feature but found this really problem and would like some help with it.

I'm using Win7 x64 with SW version 0.87 and FW version 46, keyboard layout is Portuguese and the Software language is in English.

The problem is this:
    I'm using Profile 1 and on Mode 1 I set up my "J" key to be a mouse function instead, "Left Click".
    I save to device memory and now my "J" key will work as a mouse left click, working as intended.

I'm just testing so I want to go back to default and let my "J" key be "J".
    So I set up my "J" key to default and save to device memory, my "J" key shows up as default key on the software but remains a mouse left click when I use it, definitively not working as intended.

I try to change the "J" key to something else, so I use keyboard and set the value to "H", I save to device, now every time I click on the "J" key I'm get "H", working as intended.
    Once again I try setting "J" key to default and save to device, it shows as default on the software but I keep getting "H" instead when used, definitively not working as intended

If I change to Modes 2 or 3, which I didn't touch, it will work and the "J" key will be "J".
    So I create a new Mode 4 on Slot 1, being a new mode the "J" key is set to default and it shows as such in the software, I save this new mode to device, and try again with it but I'm still getting "H" every time I click on the "J" key.

Next step would be creating a new Profile so I do, Profile 2 is a new Profile with everything untouched. I choose Profile 2 and save it to device. I make sure I'm using the Mode 1 created by the new Profile on Slot 1, my "J" key still gives me "H" every time I press it, on Modes 2 and 3, which I didn't touch, it will work and the "J" key will be "J".

I Export the Profile and Modes to see if the default key values weren't saving correctly, opening the .xml file however shows all keys set to default so that's not the problem.

What's left to do? Use the software "Reset to Default Setting" option, I use it and finally my "J" key is back to normal when using Mode 1, so maybe the problem was with the software version.

I download and install version 0.85.
    Before even touching anything, I make sure I'm using Mode 1 and use the "J" key with this software version, it's back to "H" again, I use the "Reset to Default Setting" option again but this time on 0.85, however on this version it had no effect, after the software reset the "J" key was still giving me "H".

So, I uninstall version 0.85 and go back to 0.87. I make sure I'm using Mode 1 and try the "J" key again right after reinstalling this version, it's giving me "H", I use the "Reset to Default Setting" option once more and now my "J" key is back to normal.

Finally It's working, but I wanted to try something else, so I close the software and with Mode 1 selected I try my "J" key again, guess what? It's back to "H". I open the software and try again, it's back to "J". I close it once more and I'ts back to "H".

Afterwards I try unplugging the keyboard from the USB and plugging it back in again, now it finally seems to be working, using Mode 1 and my "J" key is "J" regardless if the software is open or closed. I didn't try changing anything again and instead came here to make this post.

For now it's fixed, however, this really isn't a solution, I don't want to have to unplug and plug my keyboard every time I need to change a key assignment back to default.

Long story short, there's something wrong with assigning a key a new function and then assigning it back to default. This problem persisted between different profiles and modes on the same slot.

I hope I've made myself clear on explaining the problem and that there's something to fix this.

Hi Nitrohell,

Our keyboard team has responded, and there are a few things we can try to resolve this issue. It may be a bad settings file in the on-board memory or a corrupt firmware on the keyboard.

Since you said that the issue is now resolved with the 0.87 software version, please do use the newest version whenever possible. If the issue continues to occur, please let us know and we'll try force wipe the firmware. And if force wiping the firmware doesn't resolve the issue, then we'll have to do something a bit more complex to reset your on-board settings so that the keys are registering correctly.

In the meantime, please also do also try to flip the switch from "G" to "S" and see if the issue may be fixed. The switch is located next to the USB passthrough port next to the cable, above the media control keys.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Nitrohell,

Our keyboard software team has an update: The cause to the issue you have described has been located, and our team will be working to schedule that fix into a release update.

Please check back for software updates and our changelog for the fix to your issue.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Comment

The issue isn't really resolved with 0.87, I was just able to reset all keys to their default values, their true default values, unlike what was happening before, and haven't touched it since, meaning I'm not using any of the new macros/hotkeys I was looking forward to use with the keyboard.

But if the keyboard team has found the problem, hopefully, soon this won't be a an issue anymore. And while it's definitively an inconvenient not being able to change the keys, it's not like I can't still use the keyboard for now, so I don't mind waiting, just as long as you don't forget about fixing it.

Anyways, thank you very much for the quick replies and the interest shown on my problem, that alone is a great assurance.
        I'll be looking forward for the fix.

Comment

Any news on when the new update will come out?

Comment

While I thought this bug had been fixed with the latest SW/FW versions, I've just found that it's not fixed 100%.
            Assigning a key back to default now works fine for most of the keys, however if you try to assign a G1-6 key back to default, the software will show as if that key was back to default but it's value won't change.

It's the exact same problem I described here already, but this time it's only with the G1-6 keys.
            I'm assuming what's happening is that, because those keys don't have any value by default, when you try to change them back and save to the device memory, there's nothing to actually clear the old value with.

I'm sure that this won't be much of a problem to fix, seeing as all the other keys seem to be fixed.

Comment

Interesting. We'll check with our software team to see what's going on with the G keys.

In any case, it's a bug, and should be fixed to prevent any unintentional activation of any macro or functions on an otherwise supposed reset G-key.

Thanks for letting us know!

Also, new software version is now available (0.102). Added the custom color palette and a few new things, as well as fixing the issue with EU language layouts. Could check it out.
              Last edited by G.SKILL; 06-13-2016, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X