G skill - 780 mx - Firmware bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G skill - 780 mx - Firmware bug

Hi, I've bought my gskill 780 mx last week. So far I love it, but I have a weird bug. Once I cold boot my computer, the keyboard won't be recognized until I unplug it and plug it back in. Then, the keyboard will work flawlessly.

I believe it has something to do with my motherboard (Asus z170 pro graming).
    So far I've tried these with no possitve results:
    * Change keyboard to front usb, back usb 3.0 and back usb 2.0 connectors.
    * Change usb legacy option to disable/enable in Bios Options
    * Change XHCI hand-off to disable/enable in Bios Options.

I have updated motherboard and keyboard firmware to their latest available versions.

Just for the record, if I don't switch off the current, the keyboard will work after boot. And I did try the keyboard with another computer and it worked after cold boot.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!
    Thanks in advance

Hi Blyx,

This is an issue on some ASUS motherboard models. The USB chipset they use have problems with quite a few LED keyboard models (both G.SKILL and non-G.SKILL) on the market. When the power is cut completely (either by disconnecting the main power cord or flipping the on/off switch on the power supply), the keyboard may not be detected upon the next cold boot.

We've been working with ASUS to figure out what can be done.

We've also found a method that helps on most motherboard models. First, please make sure that your BIOS is updated to the latest version, and that the both keyboard USB connectors are connected to a USB 2.0 port on the back of the motherboard. It should be the black USB ports next to the PS/2 port. (Do make sure that the BIOS changes you've made for USB are reset to its default values.)

Comment

I have an Asus z170-A motherboard and also have experienced loss of the keyboard after the computer is shutdown. I now have the latest firmware v27 and software v0.85 and am still experiencing that issue.

However, I did find a solution. In the Bios under Advanced/APM Configuration/ErP Ready I changed my selection from S4 & S5 to simply S5. Under the S5 only setting the keyboard does not do its disappearing act. Also ErP set to disable allowed the keyboard to not be lost.

Not sure why I lose the keyboard with S4, maybe because I have a PSU that is ATX v2.3 and not the current version 2.4.
      Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 04-27-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X