Massive difference in performance running 4 modules compared to 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive difference in performance running 4 modules compared to 2

There is a long back story to this which I'll skip. In short, one of my interests is prime number finding, and I noticed a big difference in performance between my Skylake systems. With CPUs at equal overclocks, I found the system with Ripjaws 5 F4-3200C16-8GVK (2x8GB) much faster than ones with two sticks of Ripjaws 4 F4-3333C16-4GRRD (4x4GB) in it. The performance followed the ram, not the CPU or motherboard. After more testing, I found the performance gap significantly reduced with 4 modules fitted. Bare in mind Skylake is dual channel only, is there some other effect with fitting 4 modules providing this advantage?

To illustrate the magnitude of the difference, I did testing with one system: i7-6700k at 4.2 GHz, HT off, 4.1 GHz cache, F4-3333C16-4GRRD at 3000 16-18-18-38. Mobo MSI Z170A Gaming Pro.

For each line, first value is for 4 modules fitted, 2nd value for 2 modules fitted (still in dual channel mode), and last one is first divided by 2nd to show relative performance.

The test I will use to demonstrate the performance difference is Prime95 28.7 built in benchmark, looking only at 4 workers throughput in iterations/second at various selected FFT sizes. Run once each.

1024k 997.60 819.47 1.22
    2048k 468.45 376.43 1.24
    4096k 228.53 182.85 1.25
    8192k 111.84 86.51 1.29

22% and rising with increasing workload. 1024k FFT would be 8MB data, x4 for each thread so this hits ram hard. The CPU wants to work on 32MB of data which is obviously too big to fit in the L3 cache at once. At bigger FFT sizes, proportionately more ram is used.

So why does this Ripjaws 4 kit run much faster with 4 modules than 2? And the Ripjaws 5 kit runs fast even with 2 modules. If I wanted to get more ram, without necessarily buying the same parts again, how would I know if they would give me the higher performance levels I'm seeking?

Note I've tried some other ram specific benchmarks, and they didn't show any significant performance difference I see here.

RipJaws V is designed for Z170
    RipJaws 4 is designed for X99

Comment

I know that from the product pages, but I originally got the Ripjaws 4 since it was listed on my mobo QVL. Are you saying that is responsible for the performance difference? What kind of design differences are there to optimise for the different chipsets?

Comment

There are many possible causes, memory profile, IC chip differences, a type of RAM can perform better for a specific platform.

Comment

One important point was that the same quad kit showed a significant performance difference between fitting 2 and 4 modules in the same machine. The only change is fitting 2 or 4 modules, keeping dual channel mode operating in both cases. The task is not ram quantity limited so going from 8GB to 16GB also should not make a difference in itself.

In researching elsewhere, I see some references to rank potentially affecting performance where all else is equal, although I don't adequately understand it yet. I'm trying to figure out if that could be a possible mechanism.

Comment

You can compare sub timings to see how/if they change as you alter the setup.

Comment

To add an ending to this thread, after much testing including by others, it was confirmed that 2 rank modules, or 2 single rank modules per channel gave the higher performing state. It wasn't limited to G.skill ram but also that from others.

Comment

Working...
              X