Help with configuring Ripjaws V on Gigabyte GA-Z170x Gaming G1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with configuring Ripjaws V on Gigabyte GA-Z170x Gaming G1

I recently built a new system with an i7-6700k, a Gigabyte GA-Z170x Gaming G1 motherboard, and a 32GB Ripjaws V kit (F4-3200C16Q-32GVK).

For the life of me I cannot get the RAM to run at anything other than the stock 2133mhz speeds. The BIOS has many more options than I am familiar with but I have tried the following:

Selected XMP profile = no boot
    Selected XMP profile and adjusted system agent voltage = no boot
    Selected XMP profile and adjusted system agent voltage and VCCIO voltage = no boot
    Manually set memory multiplier to 3200mhz and adjusted above voltages = no boot
    Manually set memory multiplier at various settings below 3200mhz and adjusted above voltages = no boot

As I'm learning more about the various options and their impacts on system stability I have learned that the recommendations I had about setting system agent and VCCIO to 1.25v may have been a bit much and may have contributed to the issue. I plan on going back and trying lower voltages. Stock voltage does not work though.

The above has been tried with the CPU at stock speeds and overclocked with no difference (so far).

Does anyone have any solid tips I can try to get this running at rated speeds (or at least close)? Any good "baby steps" recommendations I should follow?

Thanks for any help!

I don't have experience of that mobo but based on what I've gone through, firstly make sure your mobo is on its latest bios version as it looks like most have released stability updates since launch.

When you set XMP, does it also set the ram voltage? You can try explicitly setting that to be sure.

And if that still fails, try 2 sticks at a time. I have an MSI board that seem fussy and harder to get stable with 4 sticks instead of 2.

Comment

I am currently running the latest BIOS version which specifically states it offers better memory support.

I forgot to mention I have also manually set the RAM voltage to 1.35v.

I may have to try and remove some sticks and test that way.

Comment

With XMP enabled, try a lower frequency like 2666 or 2800 first to see if it can work. You can also test each module to see if one performs differently.

Do you have the latest UEFI?

Comment

I have tried the latest UEFI as well as some beta versions and previous versions. It appears the motherboard is not applying the timing adjustments. I have manually adjusted the timings but everything reports them at stock settings in windows. The highest frequency I can get is 2200mhz. Anything else fails to boot no matter the voltage or timing settings.

Comment

Is there a document that lists the full XMP settings so I can make sure I am manually adjusting everything correctly?

Is it really just the 16-16-16-36 timings, voltage adjustment, and speed multiplier?

Comment

Hard reset BIOS and try again. Have you contacted Gigabyte to see if they can offer any assistance?

Comment

Finally got it sorted with some help from a user at the TweakTown Gigabyte forum.

It turns out I had to turn off the "memory fast boot mode" and turn the memory performance setting to either max stability or relaxed.

If the memory fast boot mode setting is enabled or on auto the system would hang with post code 55 if the memory multiplier was set higher than 22.

Thanks for checking in and helping out, I appreciate it. Up and running at 3200mhz now.

Comment

Working...
                X