X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC + 3000MHZ Trident Z

Hi everyone,

Here is the back story: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=262420

So basically, after the Corsair Dominator's I've bought BSOD'd, I bought Trident Z's and things have been mostly peachy later on, Trident Z's work flawlessly at SPD/2133MHZ speeds + no memtest issues (at this point I consider this a victory)

Before I dive into technical issues, let me make a simple suggestion for the Trident Z line: make sure the aluminium heatsink covers as much SMD components as it can, I had a broken capacitor on the first pair of Trident Z's I got, don't know whether I broke it or it was there when I got it

Anyway, although the Trident Z's are flawless at SPD, I can't achieve XMP with MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC, at XMP, the system shuts down shortly after Prime95 is launched, while all temps are at cool levels

Without XMP, I didn't have any issues, ran Prime95+Furmark for 1-2 hours too, nothing, regular usage/gaming, no issues, that's why I'm hoping this is a BIOS issue, rather than a weak CPU or weak Motherboard

Any ideas?
    (The Motherboard is in the QVL list of the exact RAM I have: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c15d-16gtzb)
    (Exact build/parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/6Nbj4D)

Have you tried manually inputting settings and voltages to see if that can work better?

Do you have the latest UEFI?

Which slots are you using?

Comment

Both slots are occupied

Have 1.34 Beta BIOS instead of the 1.2 latest

Another Z170I user reported a similar experience and stated manual timings/voltage worked, I don't have enough courage to test it though, have a bit of a panic attack lately

I just wonder why my system is failing while the default XMP supposedly works for some people (Actually I haven't met anyone that got the default XMP working, there are some reviews online, yet none of them state that they actually use the XMP profile/bios-option, I just assume they use the XMP)

Comment

Try one module at a time to see if they can work.

No need to panic, manually inputting the settings is the same as XMP. Everything is designed for what you are doing and has a certain tolerance level that you will not go beyond, so no worries.

Comment

I think this explains my situation:
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231929
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231926

The 3000MHZ doesn't work for other people too, while the 3200MHZ seem to work for all, I really hate when small decisions like these make big outcomes like this

Is it because the 3200MHZ is Hynix and 3000MHZ is Samsung IC or something?

Or it might be the tight 3000MHZ timings, yet the issue seems to be common

Edit: By the way I had a more lengthy reply but the forum err'ed with a token expiration and lost that reply, I'm running 1.34 beta UEFI BIOS that is newer than the latest release
          Last edited by kaan; 11-11-2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Did you try one module at a time?

Let me get this combination tested and I will report back with results.
            Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 11-12-2015, 10:50 AM.

Comment

No I didn't, since it's an ITX, running at SPD is a better option than shuffling the hardware, can't easily remove the components (components break easily, PCI-e latch is extremely hard to remove etc.)

Once again let me state that I find G.Skill ram to be stable, after further research I saw that almost everyone experiences RAM issues these days, Intel XMP seems like an overall fiasco, the CPU's doesn't seem to support these speeds within specs, I think I might have a weak CPU IMC too, or it still might be the tight xmp timings

After reading all those online discussions, I would probably try to run these sticks at 2600MHZ 1.3V CL16 or something like that and not the rated XMP values, even in that case I would return to SPD if the performance gain is <10%

I'm still extremely curious about the combination being tested tho, so please keep me posted
              (At Auto BIOS Voltages/settings + XMP - I got a shutdown with Prime95 in 10 minutes, the temps were below 70C's on CPU, below 40C for RAM if I remember correctly, so not a temp based shutdown, I also don't think it's the PSU since shutdowns are only RAM related, have been using things without any issues with SPD)

Comment

They fixed the issue with the 1.43 beta BIOS by the way, I've been using the RAM for quite some time, stress tested with Prime95 too, no issues

Comment

Working...
                X