Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P with ripjaws 4 F4-2800C16Q-16GRK (4x4GB) doesn't boot at 2800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P with ripjaws 4 F4-2800C16Q-16GRK (4x4GB) doesn't boot at 2800

I'm having troubles to put the modules to its advertised frequency.

Checked with the latest BIOS (F3) with everything at default values. (no oc and everything set to auto)
    To add some info, I tested each module individually and in pairs but everytime is the same: whenever i set the xmp profile 1 it fails to boot and reverts to 2133. At 2133 everything works fine.

My setup is a gigabyte ga-z170-hd3p paired with an i7 6700, all bought this month.

I also tried setting the memory values manually to 2800 16-16-16-36 and even overvolting it from 1.2 to 1.36 (in 0.02 steps) with same results.

Is there something i can test?
    I have also contacted gigabyte with this issue and i'm waiting their response.

Thanks in advance.

Did you boost CPU System Agent Voltage?

Try one module at a time to see if it can work.

Comment

I tested them individually and couldn't get them to 2800.
      At auto System Agent Voltage I was able to get to 2666 on each module.
      Boosting the voltage up to 1.3 in 0.01 increments did nothing. I only tried boosting voltage with two of the four modules but couldn't get over 2666 so gave up on testing others.

When I put four of them I can only boot at 2533 at auto voltage (I haven´t perform a stability test though).
      Boosting voltage like before (up to 1.3 v) couldn´t set them at 2666 or higher.

To sum up:
      Each module reach 2666, no need to boost System Agent Voltage.
      Four of them at the same time reach only 2533.
      Boosting System Agent Voltage did nothing neither individually nor in fours.

Interestingly, when testing I tried them at 2200 and it required a voltage increase from 1.06 to 1.09 to be able to boot.
      Also, one module booted at 2533 and 2666 but not at 2600, didn't test others at 2600.

Comment

Feel free to send them in to see if a new kit works better. We do not experience an issue with that hardware combination.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

It is difficult to pin point the issue, but at least with a new kit if you have the same issue you know it is not a problem with RAM.

Comment

Thanks. Will give some more tries then and if I still see problems will use the rma through the retailer.
          It's just too weird that i can get to 2666 individually but only to 2533 using the complete kit.

I'm frankly gratefull with your response and customer support.

Comment

Maybe hard reset UEFI and try again. A setting may be slightly off (accident?) and causing a restriction.

Comment

Working...
            X