Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 will not boot at advertised 3200 mhz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 will not boot at advertised 3200 mhz

Hi there,

I have the following G.Skill DDR4 Ram Sticks, purchased from Newegg in August 2015:

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory Model F4-3200C16D-8GRK

I am running them in dual channel mode, on this motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero - socket LGA 1151 for intel skylake. Z170 Chipset. Released August 2015.

The Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard pdf manual clearly states that this ram should work at 3200 mhz. That information is on page 1-13 of the manual. I have the voltage at 1.35 volts (which is the recommended voltage), and timings are left at AUTO.

When I try to boot with the DDR4 ram frequency set at 3200 mhz, the computer gives a black screen and will not boot. Changing this to 3100 mhz results in normal behavior and the computer will work fine. This seems odd because the RAM is advertised to run with at least 3200 mhz.

I have also tried these same exact ram sticks on an Asus Z170 Pro Gamer motherboard, with the same exact behavior. The advertised speed of 3200mhz doesn't work, but 3100 mhz does.

This particular motherboard (The Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard pdf manual) claims in it's pdf manual to go up to 3400 mhz for the DDR4 ram frequency, so why can't I boot at 3200 mhz for the DDR4 ram frequency? Is this some incompatibility issue with these G.Skill ram sticks and this motherboard? Or is there something wrong with the G.Skill RAM sticks that I have? Or is it that this motherboard has issues booting at 3200 Mhz ram frequency?

I already contacted Asus in this regard, and they said I should try and get some replacement RAM sticks from G.Skill first.

Will G.Skill be willing to ship me some replacement Ram Sticks? I can send the old ones back to you once I receive the new ones. I just need to verify that the current sticks I do have are not defective.

I sent an email to the us tech support email for G.Skill and have not had a response in 24 hours.

Thank you for reading my inquiry and I hope that we can solve this.

Post up some pictures of the EFI with DDR4-3100 working. Should be able to get the full frequency working by inputting some voltages manually. Doesn't sound like an issue with RAM if 3100 works fine.

Comment

Working...
    X