F4-2666C15Q-16GRR not working at rated speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4-2666C15Q-16GRR not working at rated speed

I have 4 x 4 GB Ripjaws 4 @ 2666 MHz, with an i5-6600k and ASRock Z170 Extreme4.

Everything is fine at the standard speed of 2133 MHz, but as soon as I enable the XMP profile when I try to boot Windows 10 blue screens with a message about corrupt system files like ntoskrnl.exe.

Even if I manually set the speed to something like 2400 MHz, Windows will boot but will blue screen within a few hours with an error like MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, and if I test with Prime95 it will give a rounding error quite quickly.

I have not overclocked CPU and I haven't changed any BIOS settings other than RAM speed/XMP profile. I have tried several of my motherboard's BIOS versions: 1.00, 1.30 and 1.60 (the latest) all with the same behaviour.

edit: oh and I should mention the RAM is less than a month old, it's never worked.
    Last edited by karl_w_w; 09-09-2015, 08:33 AM.

Have you tried one module at a time to see if it can work?

How about manual settings?

Need to determine if it is a problem with a module or UEFI settings.

Comment

I finally got around to testing one module at a time. Each module on its own seems to be running fine. I also tried one module in each slot one slot at a time, and I tried just 2 modules in dual channel mode, everything is fine until I use all 4 at once.

Really don't know how to explain it. The only setting I have which is not default is to instruct it to use XMP, I didn't even change settings between tests.

Comment

Can you post pictures of UEFI? Maybe some timings are not detected correctly for full slots. Try boosting the DRAM Voltage to see if it may help.

Comment

A new BIOS version (1.80) was released yesterday which seems to have fixed the problem, the RAM is now stable at 2666 MHz with voltage set at 1.35. Is it safe to use 1.35v long term with this RAM?

Comment

Yes, no problem at all.

Comment

Working...
            X