Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4-2400C15Q-16GRB on ASUS X99-S, not all RAM detected

Hi,

Last week on 23rd June I purchased and built a new gaming computer. When I put in the RAM and booted up, the BIOS and in Windows 7 64 bit, only three of the four RAM sticks was detected. I tried different slots but only one specific stick was not detected by the system. The next day I went back to the seller who is G.Skill authorized seller for them to have a look. According to them, they cannot test or replace the stick because there is a physical damage, which is a nick of 1-2 mm on the bottom corner of the RAM stick. I came straight from the shop to my house and the next day I started the build, I have no idea when the damage happened. My only mistake was I didn't have a careful look of the RAM sticks at the shop before I left and before I had to sign a form they force you to sign that I have checked everything. I have built computers for quite a long time, and this is first time this ever happened to me and a seller refusing to provide any after service even if it was only two days after purchase.

I have invested quite a lot of money building this system, now I am either stuck with 12GB of RAM which I assume won't work at optimum performance, or shell out more money to get additional 4 sticks of RAM.

Is there anything else I can try, test to see if I can get the fourth RAM stick working? I updated the motherboard bios, had on default setting as well tested all slots with only the faulty RAM stick, but no go. I tried to overclock RAM as well raise the voltage, but I wasn't sure how high I should go and I didn't want to damage anything else.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Chin-Won

You can use 12GB, 3 modules installed. If there is physical damage, that may be why the module is not working properly. If only one module will not work like the others, most likely it is defective and can not be used.

Comment

Thanks for the info! However since I paid for 16GB, I wish I can have 16 GB.

So for such damage there is no warranty from G.Skill as well? Since the local seller is not willing to replace it, would it be worth RMA and send it over for you guys to test it and see if the problem is from the damage or the issue existed before hand?

Comment

I have attached a picture of the supposed physical damage to the RAM stick. I consulted with another computer expert, and he agrees with me that because the damage wasn't to the circuit board, it shouldn't be the reason why the RAM is not detected in the BIOS.

I forgot to mention that CPU-Z detects there exists a RAM in the fourth channel, the BIOS and Window 7 doesn't. Does this means the RAM might work under specific circumstances?

If I want to send the memory for RMA, do I need to send all four sticks or only the one that is not detected?

Thank you!

Chin-Won
        Attached Files

Comment

We can not accept it because it does not leave our factory in that manner. If you feel the vendor damaged it, you will need to contact them directly to discuss. They are responsible for send you a good working product.

Comment

Do all your products leave your factory in functioning manner? Are all products tested properly before they are shipped out to the vendors? My issue was that the RAM didn't work from the beginning and that the vendor wouldn't replace the faulty RAM I got because of the physical damage that is not related to the faulty problem! I will understand that if someone knowledgeably person test my RAM and tell me definitively that because of the physical damage the RAM doesn't work and it was my fault that I didn't have a magnifying glass to check every bit of the hardware I got form the shop, I will accept the loss. Because of such harsh policy of the vendor I got your memory from and their decision not to replace a faulty memory they sold me, I will not return to them.

I am not really sure what you can do for me in this case, but any other option you can think of can be helpful for me. I really do not know where I can turn to regarding this problem.

No matter what, thanks for your replies and help.

Comment

Yes, and yes. They will also be completely brand new, undamaged. Only possible marking you may see are on the memory pins as they go through rigorous testing including on a motherboard. We are uncertain who caused the damage. But as a buyer / user, a return/exchange policy is available to inspect the item and make sure it is working properly. With some vendors, even if it is in good working order, you can still return it. The guarantee protects you and ensures the vendor sells you a good working product. After this period, it is assumed everything was good. But if you do have any problems, it can be handled by manufacturer warranty if available. With G.Skill, we do offer lifetime warranty from manufacturer defects and the event the RAM produces a hard error. We believe in our products and we support our users to the fullest, so that's why we protect you from any issues. The only thing we ask is the RAM is not physically damaged and the warranty sticker is intact. Considering you should have received a good working item from the vendor, any violation of the manufacturer warranty is assumed to be caused by you. There are only two requirements, so unfortunately there is not much we can do if they are not fulfilled.

Sorry for any inconvenience

Comment

Working...
              X