Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully compatable for workstation

Hello

I am in the process of building a pretty expensive workstation for 3D image rendering.

Based on my requirements I plan to run the following core components.

Intel Xeon E5-2697 v3 Haswell 2.6GHz 35MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3

ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA

GeForce GTX TITAN Z

G.SKILL F4-2800C15Q2-64GRK Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4-22400) Intel X99 (this memory is not listed in the QVL section of the ASUS board)

is this memory going to be fully comparable, stable while running at 2800 or faster? Do you see any issues with the items I listed here as far as functionality is concerned?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Gun Jam; 05-03-2015, 04:56 PM.

That CPU is Ivy Bridge-EP LGA 2011 for DDR3.

You want Haswell-E LGA 2011-3 for DDR4

You don't want the Xeon CPU anyway. I suggest the 5930K or 5960X Haswell-E

Xeon CPUs generally don't support a high DRAM Frequency, they are limited.

Comment

This system is being built to do one thing... create a 3d mosaic image using anywhere from 100 to 2000 individual photos using one primary software designed for that. The processor and video card are recommended by that software company as being the best suited for the task and software design.

I also think there is some confusion about CPU selection...
      This is what Im going to use CPU wise

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-470-_-Product

Its not ivy bridge is says its a 22nm Haswell
      says its integrated memory controller speed is DDR4 2133

it should support ddr4 then correct? but maybe not the 2800 speed I have listed.

I need 64gb of the fastest memory that this processor and board can support and function together. With this in mind is my initial memory choice still offbase? IF so can you please recommend 64gb of a suitable memory?

Thank you much for your help!

Comment

You're right, I forget there is a v3 Haswell.

The memory you picked is a great choice, but I don't think the CPU will have the capability to use a higher DRAM multiplier other than DDR4-2133. You may want to ask ASUS to see if the motherboard has a special unlock feature for Xeon CPUs.

Comment

I spoke with a gskill tech this morning who was also very helpful.
          We decided that

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Memory Kit Model F4-2133C15Q2-64GRR

Was probably the way to go...it should still be pretty dang fast in comparison to what we have now (avg computer with ddr3)...its okay if its not the fastest in the world it must remain practical as well from a functionality standpoint.

I think this system can render our larger projects in 10 hours or less. When I get it running Im sure I'll have some questions about checking to see if its preforming at its peak!

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

That kit is plug and play so you should not have any set up issues.

The new system will definitely perform much better than an older DDR3. In the future you should definitely consider a system that can support high DRAM frequency, it can significantly reduce render times. Many people are amazed after trying this, and will never turn back.

Comment

Working...
            X