Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMP 2.0 Channel Config issue

Hallo!

According to the "Datasheet Volume 2" for Intel processors in the LGA2011-v3 package (5th gen Core i7 5xxx series and Xeon) the maximum number of DIMM sockets per DRAM channel is limited to 3. G.SKILL sets the "Channel Config" parameter of XMP 2.0 to 4 for all DDR4 memory modules with XMP 2.0. This seems to be strange. So, is it supposed to be a mistake of G.SKILL FAE? Thanks!

No, it should be 4 DIMM per channel, quad channel.

Comment

The "DIMM/Channel" parameter stands for the number of DIMMs per channel. The LGA2011-v3 processor has four 64-bit DRAM controllers, each one can handle up to 3 DIMMs per channel.

Channel means a group of DIMMs. Therefore, I suspect your FAE made a mistake when setting "DIMM/channel" to 4.

Comment

It is not necessarily bad to set it to four, because future platforms could actually use up to four modules / channel. This was even hinted at back in the very early DDR4 days. As long as the value is not too small, does it really matter for a LGA2011-3 user? Basically if it that value is at least three, even for boards that actually have three slots per channel, it should be alright up to full saturation of all slots.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
          It is not necessarily bad to set it to four, because future platforms could actually use up to four modules / channel.
          BIOS reads "DIMM/channel" to know whether the profile compatible with the number of DIMMs physically installed in one channel of your system. I very doubt that G.SKILL's profiles are compatible even with 3 DIMMs per channel. Such profile settings will cause the system not to boot at all. The correct profile setting is 1 DIMM/channel, maybe 2 DIMMs/channel, but not 4 DIMMs/channel.

Comment

Originally posted by facehook View Post
            I very doubt that G.SKILL's profiles are compatible even with 3 DIMMs per channel.
            I don't see, why the profiles would per se not be compatible.

Originally posted by facehook View Post
            Such profile settings will cause the system not to boot at all.
            Failed POST because of mismatched DIMM / Channel value never happened to me before, with any platform (like with 4x 2x4GB Kits @ X79). So maybe it is more of a MB/BIOS problem, than a memory problem.
            Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
            X