Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 - Any tips on overclocking this set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 - Any tips on overclocking this set?

I have the low voltage 8gb Sniper kit...

F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

They are mounting on an ASRock Z97 Extreme6 motherboard, with an Intel Core i5-4690K.

The motherboard has several OC'ing aids built into its UEFI, and for the Ram, it offers options to simply select any Ram speed I may desire.

I attempted, something mild and just selected 1866, instead of the default 1600.

Then rebooted, and the system hung on the post; had to clear CMOS to get back in...

So, I am going to presume that even for such a mild OC to 1866, then I will need to adjust the voltage slightly, and maybe tweak a timing or two?

Any advice?

Default voltage is 1.25; should I maybe try matching the voltage and timings on this kit? - F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

It's never a good idea to use the auto overclocking features. Motherboards aren't tested with all hardware, so it's basically taking a random guess.

You can definitely try matching the specs of the DDR3-1866 kit to see how it goes.

Manually input the DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage, then let us know how it goes.

Comment

Thanks for that advice!

I decided to give it a try; though at first I tried 10 9 10 28 on the timings; booted into Windows with no probs and did some stuff, then shut the machine down for a while, then came back and booted back up, which resulted in a bluescreen.

I then tried 9 10 9 28 and again booted into Windows without probs... spent a few hours on some things, played some rather demanding games, etc.... then shut it down for the night.

Just booted it back up this morning, and it bluescreened again.

It seems to run fine, when its just been restarted, after changing the Ram settings...

But after its been shut down, and turned off for awhile... then powered back up, then it has problems with the Ram.

Perhaps the 1.5v is a little too much?
      Last edited by Nyarlathotep75; 02-26-2015, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Try 1.45V

Can you post pictures of BIOS so we can take a look?

Thanks

Comment

Setting it to 1.45v and going to see how it boots in the morning.

Now quite sure how to take pics from inside the bios though, other then to use my old camera to take pictures of my screen... they dont come out very well though but here they are....

Comment

To take screenshots from the BIOS use the predefined shortcut, usually the F12 key, to save them on an USB stick or any other FAT formatted medium (a cardreader with a memory card inserted works as well).
            Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Don't use XMP, because it will set some advanced values for the DDR3-1600 speed, which you do not want.

Comment

Hah! Had no idea I could do that in the bios.

Ok going to post links to the new pics so I don't bog this down with pics loading...

Main Screen
                No CPU OC
                Dram Frequency Setting
                Dram Configuration Settings (Timings)
                Dram Voltage (3rd to bottom)

So far I have not had any issues with it at 1.450v

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  Don't use XMP, because it will set some advanced values for the DDR3-1600 speed, which you do not want.
                  Ah ok, didnt see this post before I made those new pics.

I'll disable the XMP!

Comment

These are the only options I have for XMP settings..

CLICKIE!

Guess, I'll have to leave it on Auto.

Comment

So no luck with XMP @ AUTO and manual settings of DDR3-1866 9-10-9-28 2T 1.45-1.50V?

Try raising the tRFC to 180/220/240 and if that does not help, maybe relax the primary timings further to 10-11-10-28.
                      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

No no...

Is been good with XMP @ Auto, with manual settings of DDR3-1866 9-10-9-28 2T 1.450v!

I've not had any further issues yet and in fact it seems to be running great!

I've had it running Heaven 4.0; 3DMark's Firestrike, just played RYSE: Son of Rome for a couple hours earlier today; and spent a couple hours playing the latest Thief; as well as Sins of a Solar Empire... all on max settings. I also do a lot in Second Life, I'm a builder there, and work with a lot of textures...

So far, not one single problem.

Are there any other specific tests you guys would like me to conduct, to confirm stability, before I start looking into working on my CPU overclock with the folks over on OCN?

Comment

Sounds like it's running just fine. You should be able to run any test you want and it should be stable. Let us know how all the overclocking goes..

Comment

Working...
                          X