Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F3-1866c9d-16gxm + 990fxa-ud3(Rev4?) + amd fx-8350(be)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1866c9d-16gxm + 990fxa-ud3(Rev4?) + amd fx-8350(be)

F3-1866c9d-16gxm + 990fxa-ud3(Rev4?) + amd fx-8350(Black Edition)

I just bought another 16GB (2 x 8GB) of memory for my PC & I think I've run into a timing issue. Previously i was only using 16GB on my system but decided to max out the board to 32GB's.

Upon installing the new additional memory the BIOS defaulted to "optimal settings"
    & upon checking my system settings via the free Speccy utility from piriform my memory timeing is:

RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

instead of the timing listed here @ GSKILL: Timing 9-10-9-28

When I tried to set the correct timing via the instructions quoted below, the BIOS again reports an error & reset's to "optimal" settings & defaults to 9-9-9-24. I tried method 2 as I could not find step 1 in method 1.

[FX or A Series CPU]

Method 1.

A. Enable DOCP/EOCP in BIOS.
    a. If unstable, raise CPU-NB Voltage in addition to the above.

B. Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability

C. F10, save, exit, and everything should be ready to go.

Method 2.

A. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1866

B. Set DRAM Timings to tCL - tRCD - tRP - tRAS - Command Rate
    (that the memory is rated for)

C. Set DRAM Voltage to what the memory is rated for.
    (Manually set even if default 1.50V)

D. Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability

E. F10, save, exit, and everything should be ready to go.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH
    According the motherboard specs (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128514) I should be able to set the timing to at least 1866 (not interested in overclocking to the 2000)

I've included an attachment with my current system specs as reported by Speccy.

Any help in getting the timing set to 1866 for the 32GB's of memory now installed in my system would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Attached Files

The two separate kits may not work at DDR3-1866 in the same computer. Try DDR3-1600 first then try to work up.

A. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600

B. Set DRAM Timings to tCL 8 - tRCD 8 - tRP 8 - tRAS 24 - Command Rate 2

C. Set DRAM Voltage to what the memory is rated for. 1.50V

D. Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability

E. F10, save, exit, and see how that works.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

O.k. I set the timings as stated but I keep running into an issue with step D. "Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability".

Since I can't upload the pictures due to file size I will link to my dropbox.

1st image: Where the BIOS erros
      https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2018.49.59.jpg

2nd image: The CPU-NB Voltage settting, I'm not sure as to which value this is that requires changing. i.e.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2018.51.15.jpg

NB Core
      NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage
      or NB Voltage?

Comment

Should be NB Core, if i am not mistaken. The other NB voltage is probably for the upper half of the chipset.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Again changed the values as specified & changed the NB Core to the proper voltage. Result was PC refused to boot, became unresponsive, just a black screen. No BIOS menu options or anything which lead to having to use the PSU on/off switch to turn the pc on again.

Comment

The two kits may not be able to reach DDR3-1866 in the same system.

Set the RAM to DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.50V and that should be the ideal settings for 32GB

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

So I know it's been a year but I never did really resolve this issue. I just recently upgraded all the case fans in my pc along with the heatsink with the intention of possibly overclocking my FX 8350 BE processor. I've reached out to Gigabyte tech support along with another community forum about this issue & am awaiting a response.

I thought I would reach out here as well. I've posted a video here https://youtu.be/Fk7zt2IBXPw on my youtube channel describing the issue as well.

Basically the last few days of revisiting this issue I have discovered that my motherboard wasn't in fact getting or setting the correct DRAM voltage.

The optimal default setting for the motherboard SAYS the DRAM is 1.50V but in reality it's only 1.488. Manually upping the DRAM voltage to 1.515 actually sets the DRAM voltage to 1.5.

Now however the PC BSOD's me either directly after logging into Windows or shortly thereafter when Windows is still loading the desktop.

Comment

The question is are you able to get 1 module to run smoothly?

We need to determine whether it is an issue with a module, the settings, or something else.

Comment

I obviously have 2 sets which I'll refer to as 2013 & 2014

The 2013 set (2x8GB sticks) is the set I originally bought in 2013. This set I had in channel A (2 black slots - 1 & 3)

The 2014 Set (2x8GB sticks) I bought obviously a year later. This set I had in channel B (2 gray slots - 2 & 4)

I took the 2014 set out completely, with only the 2013 set left in channel A, set the correct voltage & timings for 1600. Resulted in BSOD

Took the 2013 set out & put it in channel B, set the correct voltage & timings for 1600. Resulted in BSOD.

The 2013 set did pass memtest when I originally purchased it however so I'm at a loss as to why it BSOD's the system or causes it to become unstable.

Completely removed the 2013 set & replaced it with the 2014 set in Channel A, set the correct voltage & timings for 1600. PC booted just fine.

Added the 2013 set to Channel B, voltage & timing set for 1600. Resulted in BSOD's again.

I did a video of this, unfortunately its 30 minutes long because of explanations & a problem with removing / installing 1 set of sticks...modules due to my CPU cooler.

Here is the link to the video, which as of this post still has 30 minutes or so before it's completely uploaded.

http://youtu.be/kjfwrS3KZHA

Comment

Working...
                  X