Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2400C10Q-32GTX + ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ + A10-7850K

Hey all,

I've just upgraded from an old Socket 939-based system (yeah I know it's about time) so I'm pretty new to DDR3 based RAM coming from DDR1 400.

The RAM's speed defaults to 1333 in the BIOS and I've been able to still get it POST and have the system stable with 1866 just by making the clock speed change it in the BIOS but it looks like getting it to POST with 2133 or 2400 is going to require a bit more work (voltage adjustments most likely).

I saw the thread titled for 1866 adjustments with making changes to the CPU-NB voltage and the additional +0.05V to +0.1V but I was hoping someone experienced with a similar setup could give me any tips on just how much I'll need to increase voltages. I don't want to overdo it and damage anything in the new system so any advice/tips are appreciated. I'd like to run the RAM at the 2400 MHz (10-12-12-31) that it's rated for on this system and I know that technically requires a slight overclock to get it done.

Thanks everyone for your time!

You need to enable the kits XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profile) for DDR3-2400 with specified timings. Yes, almost all higher end kits on the market today use XMP for that and compatibility with AMD mainboards is not a given, even though the bigger mainboard manufacturers implemented ways to use those profiles anyways.

Just give it a try, maybe it works out for you without any manual fiddling with timings and voltages (other then Vdimm and CPU-NB voltage). However not all A10-7850K can do DDR3-2400 with four modules. If you can't get it to work with four modules, try it again with only two. Best of luck.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

I did try the modules with enabled the XMP profile but with no luck. I'll have to give it a try with only two modules and see if the XMP profile has any success.

I find it a bit surprising that not all 7850K's can do DDR3 2400 with four modules as that's the first I've read of such a possibility. Are there certain batches that have known to be of lesser quality for running at higher RAM speeds?

Comment

It fired right up with the XMP profile alone with only 2 DIMMS in slots A2 and B2 and no other tweaking.

There any known trick for getting it to work with all 4 DIMMS?

Comment

The thing is, the CPUs integrated memory controller is only specified for DDR3-1333(1600) with four modules. So 4x DDR3-2400 is a huge stretch. Some A10 can do it, others just don't, even with voltages beyond what is reasonable. Maybe you have an A10 thats somewhere in between, then tweaking timings and voltages could help...

Comment

Keep in mind AMD states the CPU is capable of 2 modules of DDR3-2133.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/pr.../a-series-apu#

So with 4 modules of DDR3-2400, there's no doubt you need to tweak the CPU-NB Voltage to be fully stable. The CPU memory controller will be stressed beyond it's capabilities, so it needs a power boost.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the response G.SKILL TECH.

Any idea on approximately which BIOS settings and voltage levels I'll need to adjust to get in the correct ballpark for four DDR3-2400 modules?

What's the threshold I should not cross in making these adjustments?

Comment

Start from +0.10V and work your way up. It should not need more than +0.30V.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Raise V_CPUNB in small steps towards 1.32V (24/7) / 1.38V (max, for testing). A good A10 will usually need around 1.225-1.275V.

Comment

Working...
                  X