Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAM issues? DIMM module issues? Memtest86+ (version 5) showing errors on test 6 -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM issues? DIMM module issues? Memtest86+ (version 5) showing errors on test 6 -

As of January 2014 I built my first computer consisting of the following:

* Asus Intel Z87-Plus - ATX, Socket LGA1150
    * Cooler Master RS850-AMBAJ3-US Silent Pro M 850W Power Supply - ATX, Modular, 850 Watt,
    * Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
    * Kingston SH103S3/120G HyperX 120GB Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA III, 2.5"

I purchased 2 memory kits from G.Skill (G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)). Windows 7.0 (64-bit) Home edition is the OS. Since January 1st the computer had been running top notch. The Asus BIOS was flashed to vers. 1802. The RAM profile chosen was XMP, Profile 1 (as was recommended for this faster RAM).

The compuer had been running fantastic up until the second week of April. The only changes I made to the computer up to that 2nd week was installing 3 more chassis fans (Coolermaster 120mm). Then I started to get BSOD mini dumps happening multiple times a day. After each BSOD, at best, my computer would restart; at the worst the screen would be frozen with what looked like "interference" lines running horizontally ( maybe 3 -4 of them) and my computer would be locked up.

Hence I started to test the computers hardware. I uninstalled everything except the SDD, HDD, and of course the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I downloaded Memtest86+ 5.0. I started testing the RAM sticks in the following order:

1) in slot A2 I'd test every stick with 3 passes of the Memtest86+ ver 5.0 test cycle, 3 passes each stick
    2) no errors were found or recorded (again, just using 3 passes and in A2 DIMM slot)

Next I decided to install all 4 sticks in the proper sequence (ie from one kit I'd install into DIMM slots A1 / B1; the other kit I'd install into slots A2/B2) and re-ran Memtest86+ Vers 5 last night for 12 hours with the following results:

(pass 0) test #6 recorded the following: (pass 0) 22 errors - error confidence 163
    (pass 1) 44 more errors - error confidence 227
    (pass 2) 178 more errors - error confidence 213
    (also test #9 revealed 8 errors)
    (pass 3) 0 errors - error confidence 213
    (also test #9 revealed 7 more errors)

I then tested each stick at a time, using just test 6, 5 passes each. No errors (running at XMP profile 1, 2400 Hz)

I then tested each DIMM slot, again same way (test 6 - 5 passes each) - again finding no errors.

I continued on to 2 sticks in DIMM slots to test dual RAM set up (test 6 - 5 passes) - no errors.

I then installed all 4 sticks in (2400Hz) and test 6 produced massive amounts of errors in the several hundreds.

I went back into ASUS BIOS and turned the DRAM Frequency back to 2133Hz. Upon retesting the 4 sticks of RAM I got no errors on test 6, 5 passes.

However, I find it very odd that right out of the gate I was able to set up the BIOS to XMP, Profile 1, and run smoothly for 3 months and 2 weeks. Then, all of a sudden, my machine is unstable. I'm very perplexed by this all and, not to sound too nit-picky, but I want to use the sticks at 2400Hz.

Please let me know what you feel I must do next in order to flush out this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Sincerely,
    Darren
Working...
X