F3-2133C9Q-32GZH + Gigabyte Z87XUD7 TH + i7 4770K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2133C9Q-32GZH + Gigabyte Z87XUD7 TH + i7 4770K

It seems like a lot of people with socket 1150 Gigabyte boards are having memory issues. I'm a little late to this unhappy party, but here is my story.

Last week I did a new build with the Gigabyte board, Haswell i7 4770K processor, and G.Skill F3-2133C9Q-32GZH memory. The memory was previously used in an Ivy Bridge-E system and is the only part reused, all other hardware is new including an MSI R9 290x Lightning and Corsair AX1200i power supply.

With 4 DIMMs installed I get random but frequent BSODs in Windows 8.1. It is practically a different bug check every time. I ran Memtest86+ over night for about 8 hours and got no errors, so at that point I put the thoughts of memory problems out of my mind and concentrated my troubleshooting elsewhere for a time, but all signs kept pointing back to memory. So I decided to take one channel of memory out and just run with two DIMMs @ 16GB. The system was rock stable with no BSODs over the 72 hours I ran with 16GB. I put the other two DIMMs back in and within four hours I got a BSOD. So I did some Googling on Gigabyte 4 DIMM BSOD and was stunned to find that apparently a lot of Gigabyte Haswell based boards are having a similar problem with 4 DIMMs installed.

I went with this combination of motherboard and memory mainly because the board was listed in the G.Skill QVL for the memory I have, and the memory was specifically listed in the supported memory list on the Gigabyte web site for all four memory slots.

What I haven't been able to determine is whether or not this is a Haswell platform problem or a Gigabyte problem. But I am turning to G.Skill for help (I also have a support ticket open with Gigabyte but have not heard back from them yet).

I am within my 30 day return window since I just bought the motherboard a little over a week ago. And if I have to send the board back for a refund and pick out something else then I will do it. That being said, I really don't want to tear my system down again and rebuild it with a different board. But running with just 16GB is not an acceptable compromise. I need a platform that can be stable with 32GB or it does me no good.

Some details on my set up...I am running the CPU with stock clock and voltage. Turbo is enabled. I am using XMP Profile 1 for memory. My motherboard is on the latest BIOS, F4.

I have found one interesting thread here...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-he...stability.html

But I wanted to reach out to the vendors before doing anything. I sent an email to G.Skill tech support last night while I was waiting for my forum account to be activated.

This problem with 4 DIMMs seems to have been going on for quite a while and it surprises me that it appears to have received very little attention from the vendors.

--Jerome
    Last edited by jsaliga; 04-07-2014, 06:36 AM.

Test one stick at a time with memtest86+ to see if it is one causing a problem.

Try the RipJaws X series or Trident X and it should work better.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Throwing money at the problem is not a strategy that I care to implement. If I do go that route then I will probably buy a competing brand, perhaps Corsair Dominator Platinum memory...

I heard back from Gigabyte technical support and their response wasn't very helpful.

So unless someone else steps up with something more constructive then it would seem that I am on my own.

--Jerome

Comment

It will only cost you shipping, but then you can determine whether it is an issue with the RAM or something else.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X