Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P5Q3 Deluxe w/ F3-10666CL9D-4GBPK

Motherboard: P5Q3 Deluxe wifi ap @N
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 stepping OC'ed to 3.6GHz (400 X 9)
    Memory: looking to get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231188

Im looking to upgrade to the above RAM in my system, from an incompatible OCZ module. My question is, just how well does this RAM perform on the board? I tried contacting Asus support about it, but as usual their CSR's seem mildly retarded and generally unhelpful; after reiterating a question about what memory modules on their qvl work the best 3 or 4 times one finally told me that "They dont do any kind of testing themselves, contact the RAM manufacturer for info" and so here I am.

Basically, what i'd like to know is if the ram will perform well at what I intend to set them to. Like, what the maximum safe voltage for this module would be(on the newegg reviews a tech from g. skill had said to have this RAM set to 2.0-2.1volts) and if its possible to OC them to 1600MHz(2 - 1 ratio with my FSB) and still be under 9-9-9 in latencies at that voltage, and if it will run with 2GB in all 4 RAM slots(I intend to get 2 sticks now, and get another 2 when I upgrade to Win7) at those speeds, seeing as this is one of a select few types of memory that the qvl states can run 4 X 2gb. Thank you for any help you can provide.

-Mike

That memory package is our average model. Seems like you are overclocking and would probably be more performance oriented, so I would suggest a different memory package.

The following is $5 more, but probably twice as good as the ones you were originally looking at.

G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD DDR3-1600 CL8

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231259

The recommended safe memory voltage for DDR3 is 1.8V, you do not need to go above this as all of our memory packages will operate at rated speeds below that voltage. Anything above could damage the memory modules and emit excessive heat. The 2.0V-2.1V must have been a mistake if it was for DDR3, that is the spec for DDR2.

With the memory package recommended above, you will be able to operate at 1600 under CAS 8. With the other package, you may only get up to ~1400 @ CAS 9, so $5 more definitely goes a long way.

You should be able to operate 8GB as well, you will need to increase Northbridge and maybe adjust some advanced timings, but you should definitely have no problem.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, and the info. Unfortunately, that RAM, and any G.Skill 1600MHz memory, is not on the QVL for my board, and it's a board that is really picky with its memory.

The OCZ mem im trying to upgrade from is OCZ Gold XTC OCZ3G13332G which is supposed to run 9-9-9-27 @ 1333MHz; due to compatibility problems I can't even touch the voltage, won't even run at rated speeds past POST. The only stable setting has been 800MHz 5-5-5-15. Ive already been around the block with that problem, that board in general has probs with OCZ, which is why im looking to switch, and i'm not the only one experiencing it. My board itself is fine, its just... picky.

So while the offer looks good, and i'm tempted to get it, i'm leery of buying something im not sure is going to work. If you've got someone with a p5q3 deluxe laying around that can test the memory compatibility and assure me that it will work(and hopefully get Asus to update their darn QVL a bit) id be grateful, and likely purchase it the next day Thanks!

Comment

The Trident 1600 should work with the P5Q3. We have tested all of our memory on all ASUS P5xx boards, and have not had any issues. The only reason it is not on the QVL is because ASUS has not tested the memory and motherboard combination. The motherboard isn't particularly picky, it just needs the correct settings in BIOS to operate properly.

I would pull it out and test it to show you, but we have 2 people on vacation at the moment so we are really backed up. I will try to test it sometime, but honestly I doubt I'll get to it. Will do my best.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Eh, I might give it a shot and post what happens. The old ram's problems werent simply settings either; posts on the ocz tech forums support the fact that gold and platinum series modules dont work well with my board, and when their lead tech questioned asus about the boards quality they closed the doors on him.

I find it odd that you said the qvl is composed from their own testing though, as when I asked asus about the compatibility of qvl ram modules their tech replied back to me saying they don't test RAM compatibility themselves. I hope he was just BSing, or Asus is worse off then I thought. Either way, im not getting an asus board on my next system.

Comment

They tend to pass the bl*me to us. If you know what I mean. haha It's just easier for them since we are the memory company and we should know.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
            X