F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL + Gigabyte H87-D3H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL + Gigabyte H87-D3H

Hi! I'm new to the forums. Glad to be here.
    I would appreciate any help you could give me. I've recently built new rig because my old motherboard died and I saw the chance to upgrade. The specs:

Gigabyte H87-D3H
    i5 4570
    NZXT HALE85 N 650W
    2x4GB GSkill RipjawsX (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)
    Zotac 660 GTX (from my old rig)
    1TB Wester Digital SATA III HDD

A couple of days after I assembled it, it started to freeze, then shut down after a few minutes past the freeze. My first thought was a bad memory stick, procced to test it with memtest, goldmemory and even windows built in testing software just to see that the sticks were ok.

Then I though about memory timings and procced to enable XMP through UEFI bios menu. I tested all posible values listed in CPUZ but the computer continues to froze. I have also tested the rig without the 660 and got a hard lock. With an old HDD it also froze. So I get all new components to RMA and they told me that was a faulty motherboard so they gave me a new Gigabyte (same model).

Procced to install the new motherboard and after a couple of minutes it froze againt. Disabled integrated graphics to avoid conflicts between the 660 and the intel 4600. Keeps freezing. I even tried to rise DRAM voltage to 1.65v (as stated in some posts here in the forum) but got the same result.

I also tried with an 3 years old CM Silent Pro M 500W and got the same problem.

I tried both methods to set up memory timings properly, using XMP profiles and manual.

My question is, am I missing something when seting up the memory timings? Could it be a non-RAM issue?

I am so burnt right now that I'm starting to doubt the LCD's condition. I never saw it and I don't really know if a bad DVI port from the LCD can cause this problems.

And sorry if my English is a little strange it's not my native language.

Thanks in advance. All help you could provide would be appreciated.

First, your english is better than many who speak it natively....

Certainly sounds like a bad stick but all the tests say otherwise, not that you should have to but bump the Vdram to 1.6, and go up 2 notches (hit + sign in the window where it is now) on Vcore. I can't imagine in that rig that either of those would be necesary but stranger things have happened. also try 10-10-10-30 timings if the voltage doesn't help, I can't imagine that would help either but we can work on other issues once we get you stable. Next time if you can get as much info as is available about your Blue screen when it crashes, this can help diagnose the issue sometimes. Its also possible your motherboard could have messed up your cpu, but I don't really know how one would test it without another rig to drop it in.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Thanks for the answer.

The problem is that I do not get any BSoD when the computer freeze. It just freeze and after a couple of minutes it shuts down.

Today at work in my break I read on Gigabyte forums about an issue regarding some Z77 motherboards. The people there were having the same issue as I am having right now just with a diferent chipset. Many of them tinkered with some BIOS settings (like EIST, C3/C6, and those related to power saving) and managed to avoid those freezes, others set the BCLK to 100.1 and the problem went away (in my BIOS I can't set up BCLK, I presume that is because this is no OC hardware). I've already tried to disable EIST and other power saving stuff to no avail.

Now I'm testing the computer again with the values you provided. If I get any hard lock again I think I will send the motherboard to RMA again and try to get another brand like ASUS.

It's frustrating being tech savvy and can't manage to figure this out.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hopefully that can fix it, but if its a cpu/chipset issue its unlikely, i think only the z77 boards can mess with bclock, also is your power supply haswell rated? Heard there are some issues with that as well.
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Hard locked again.

Now I'm trying to rule out the LCD. I saw a rare situation in another hardware forum in which the person was having problems with his DVI conection to an LCD TV. I plugged a 6 year old 17" Samsung CRT and the problems stopped at least for the moment.

In any case, if I see a hardlock again I will try to post here even if I decide to send the board to RMA again and change it to another brand.

Thanks!

Comment

Do check your powersupply to ensure it is haswell rated, though I've not heard much about it causing hard locks, more like unable to wake up.

EDIT: I just did so, thats not the issue, assuming you're back to the nxzt one that is

Comment

Yeah. I checked it too. It is Haswell rated. It will sound funny and even stranger, I thought mi DVI cable was faulty so I tried mi old CRT. Since Friday the computer was up until today morning when it froze again and then proceeded to shut down. It will sound even more akward but was the third time I noticed that the lock occurs when I approach my cell phone and you can hear the interference with the speakers.

This is over my knoledge already because, according to specificacions, all motherboards are built with EMI (electromagnetic interference) protection. I don't know if a WiFi router plus the cell phone getting in touch with the cell tower (when the signal becomes stronger) can cause a motherboard to malfunction.

It's that or I am becoming crazy. I'll try to send the motherboard to RMA again and aquire another brand like ASUS.

Thanks for the help. As a conclusion the RijawsX kit is fine like all other components that I could test in another rig.

I will post the 'solution' when I got one.

Comment

I do know most speakers will pick up a noise when you get a call or text, It might be the speakers feeding back into the motherboard causing the shutdown, but that does seem pretty unlikely. When I get a text really close to my headphones I can hear it before my phone notifies me. So who knows? Even if the board is shielded I guess if the interference is being fed into the board from another unshielded component it "could" still cause an issue?

Comment

Working...
                X