• Show
Clear All

• Gskill Perfect Storm 6GB

Hello,
    I recently ordered a pc that consists of:
    Cpu:Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard:Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    Memory:Gskill Perfect Storm 6gb on 3ple channel

The system crashes when running 3dmark Vantage, always on the first few seconds of cpu test 1.
    The bios settings ,under AI tweaker menu, that the computer came with are as follows:

Ai overclock tuner:X.M.P
    Cpu Ratio Setting 19.0
    Intel Speedstep Tech: Enabled
    BCLK Frequency: 143
    PCIE Freq: 100
    DRAM Freq: DDR3-2006
    UCLK Freq: 4157 MHz
    QPI Link Data Rate: 5161 MT/s

Cpu is running at 2717 mhz
    The voltages are all on [Auto] (CPU Voltage, CPU PPL voltage , QPI/DRAM Voltage, IOH , ICH etc), except dram bus voltage which is set to 1.66v. Memory timings are 8-8-8-21. Ive run memtest86+ for 1 pass(about an hour of testing) and no errors show up
    When selecting bios default settings the computer seems stable, but the memory runs as ddr3-1069.

Are some of my bios settings wrong?What i want to achieve is running the memory at 2000mhz and having a stable system.

Thank you in advance

EDIT:When the pc crashes, a blue screen shows up saying: hardware error/problem and then restarts
    Last edited by Requo; 08-02-2009, 08:14 AM.

Try following this and let me know how it goes..

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1271

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I applied these settings and the computer seems stable. Im leaving on vacation today so ill let you know after 10 days when ill have time for more tests.
      Thanks a lot for your help!

Comment

Sounds good! Have fun on your vacation!

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Well, the problem seems to persist but in a smaller scale.After 2-4 hours of gaming i get the same blue screen:hardware malfunction and then a restart.Although, i can pass 3dmark/pcmark/memtest86+ successfully. Currently, my bios settings are the ones in this thread.My bios version is 0504 if that helps.

What else shoud i try? Maybe increase qpi/dram voltage to 1.55v as you suggest in the other thread?
          Thanks for your support

Comment

Sounds like a setting may be slightly off. If you could post screen shots of your BIOS, or list your exact settings, that would make it much easier/faster to troubleshoot. Otherwise there are so many possible settings I would probably be repeating a lot of stuff.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Sure, here you are:
              Ai tweaker section:

Dram timing control section:

Let me know if you need any more screenshots.

Edit:Also, since my ram is rated for 8-8-8-21, do i need to make any further adjustment to tighten the timings up?
              Last edited by Requo; 08-31-2009, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Set CPU Ratio to 18, 16 may be too low to operate DDR3-2000. Also for timings, enter in 8-8-8-21, restart, then let me know what the 1st information is so I can see what the motherboard is picking up. Right now the values are completely off, so apparently the motherboard is having a tough time picking up the correct settings.

Have you tried testing them individually to see if each memory module will operate at DDR3-2000? There may be a bad stick causing you the issues. Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

It wont even boot with cpu ratio 18..I get a black screen just before loading windows.
                  The first info i get on POST is: DDR3-2005Mhz and after a couple of lines:6136MB...OK,if thats what you mean
                  Im going to test each module today(with my current bios settings, right?) and ill let you know.
                  Last edited by Requo; 09-03-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Im sorry, if you mean the first information in dram control section, its 8-8-8-21-6-98-15-8-26-0 now that ive tightened the timings up

Comment

How is it running now? Those timings look fine, if you are still having issues, try testing each stick individually as there may be a bad stick.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Well, i tested each stick with my current manual settings(no xmp) and i get the same blue screen on the first minutes of prime95. Same goes when all 3 sticks are installed.I cant seem to be able to make the system 100% stable whatever i try, although, increasing qpi/dram voltage to 1.55v improves things a bit,but the crash on prime95 remains.Is there anything else i could adjust in bios?Ive tried command rate to 2N,increasing cpu ratio to 17,selecting XMP profile with all voltages on Auto but nothing works.

Also,when testing the sticks individually, i also noticed that when placing the 2nd and 3rd stick in the slot where the 1st was, the system wouldnt boot at all.Is it possible that i have a bad stick?If so, whats the procedure i have to follow in order to send them for replacement?

Comment

Could be, have you tried raising the QPI/DRAM voltage a bit?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Have you tried DDR3-1600 or 1800? your processor may be having a hard time reaching 2000.
                            You may want to give QPI/DRAM 1.6V a shot, it might help with stabilizing BCLK 200.

Otherwise, we can always try a different set:

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Keep me posted on the results.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                            X