Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Maximus Hero VI + 4x4 F3-19200CL11Q RipjawsZ not doing rated speed

Hey,

Last month I got myself some new components based on Haswell I7-4770K.

Complete rig specs:

Intel I7-4770K @ 43x100 1.25v, won't do 44x100 even at 1.3v (custom WC)
    Corsair 850W PSU
    Asus Geforce GTX 680
    Gskill RipjawsZ F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD (4x4) rated at DDR 2400Mhz
    Win7
    Asus Maximus VI Hero (Z87)

On to the issue.

At first I concentrated on the CPU leaving everything in the BIOS to Auto except for CPU multiplier and some voltages. The memory posted at DDR3 1600 Mhz, which already puzzles me.

I'm very confident that the CPU is now stable at the settings listed above so I went on the get the memory up to its rated clock frequency and timings.
    Firstly, When setting the memory to DDR3 2400Mhz while leaving everything to Auto I couldn't even get into the OS without seeing a BSOD appear. So OK, I decided to look up some advice and started to play around with voltages such as DRAM Voltage, System Agent Voltage and even upping the CPU vcore. I also tried using the Asus XMP presets. None of the settings had much of a stability impact on anything. At best I could get into the OS, but when I open a browser the BSOD appears again. It's rock solid at DDR3 1600Mhz but that's far below the rated spec, obviously.

The content of the BSOD screens varies a lot except for the SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION message. All the rest of the BSOD content appears to be rather random, AFAIK.

I'd really like to get this running at its rated spec so any advice is welcome.

The memory defaults to DDR3-1600, because that is the fastest available JEDEC profile. Everything above that needs the Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) to be enabled.

Can you please try to enable XMP #1 or #2 with your cpu @ stock speed?

If that is actually stable, you might need to rework your OC settings with the higher memory speed. It is not uncommon, that increasing memory speed can impact cpu stability at OC settings, especially if those are voltage tweaked up to the very edge of stability. Its probably just a minor bump of Vcore, Vccio and/or Vccsa that is needed (YMMV).
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      The memory defaults to DDR3-1600, because that is the fastest available JEDEC profile. Everything above that needs the Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) to be enabled.

Can you please try to enable XMP #1 or #2 with your cpu @ stock speed?

If that is actually stable, you might need to rework your OC settings with the higher memory speed. It is not uncommon, that increasing memory speed can impact cpu stability at OC settings, especially if those are voltage tweaked up to the very edge of stability. Its probably just a minor bump of Vcore, Vccio and/or Vccsa that is needed (YMMV).
      Both XMP 1 & 2:
      First I tried increasing the vcore somewhat, then the vccio max and min, not sure where I could find vccsa. However no dice. I always run Cinebench 11 without issues but when browsing the web with a lot of open tabs it usually BSOD's within minutes.
      It was the same deal with the CPU at automatic, which is 39x100 instead of 43x100. I didn't touch the vcore so it should have been a very stable CPU. So at stock CPU settings the memory is equally unstable.

Comment

Test each module with XMP enabled to see if it is perfectly stable.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X