• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get 1600MHz

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 ? 3.0GHz, FSB:1333
    M/B: Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R ? FSB:1600/1333/1066/800
    Memory: G.Skill DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD

I can't get my memory to run at 1600MHz. I get constant beeps and then a reboot. I've found that I can get the FSB up to 370MHz before having reboots. At 380MHz I get the immediate beeps and reboot. Here's what works and appears to be stable:

CPU Multiplier: 8.0
    FSB: 400MHz
    Mem Freq.: 1333MHz (Multiplier: 3.33D)

So I'm slightly overclocking my CPU but have to underclock my memory.

I have tested with memtest86 and everything looks good.

I have tried setting the memory voltage to 1.64v and have manually set the memory timings to 8-8-8-21 and also tried timings of 9-9-9-24. Won't run at 1600MHz.

P.S. I noticed that if I set the timings to Auto, the chips will run at 1333MHz with timings of 8-7-7-18.

CPU Host Frequency needs to be at least 400 to run DDR3-1600. So if you can't get that, then the below will not work.

Performance Enhance - Standard
    DRAM Timing Selectable - Manual
    CAS Latency 8 - tRCD 8 - tRP 8 - tRAS 21
    Load Line Calibration - Disabled
    CPU VCore - 1.3V
    MCH Core - 1.2V
    MCH/Reference - 1.0V
    DRAM Voltage - 1.66V

In Advanced Timing, change Command Rate - 2. What are the SPD values for Advanced Timings? tWR should be 10, tRFC 52-60.

Channel A Timing Settings, Static tRead Value should be 10.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Fail

I tried the above setting but still got the beeps and reboot.

Things that changed:
      CPU VCore was 1.25v
      MCH Core was 1.1v
      MCH Ref was 0.75v
      Command Rate was AUTO, (CPU-Z reported 2T always)
      Channel A Static tRead was 9

The SPD values were set to AUTO with tWR at 10 and tRFC at 60.

Comment

Try these settings, the memory may not be getting enough actual voltage to run 1600.

CPU Multiplier: 8.0
        FSB: 400MHz
        Mem Freq.: 1600MHz (Multiplier: 4.00D)

CPU VCore - 1.3V
        MCH Core - 1.3V
        MCH/Reference - 1.0V
        DRAM Voltage - 1.7V then 1.8V

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Nope. Still no good.

I even tried setting the FSB to 370MHz and then 375MHz for Memory speeds of 1480MHz and 1500MHz. The behaviour was exactly the same as when I left all the voltages at default. That is, it would be perfectly stable at 1480MHz and would beep at me and reboot at 1500MHz.

I'm starting to think that the Memory just does not like to play with the processor that has a default of 1333MHz FSB regardless of what the FSB is actually set at.

Well, not a big deal anyway. The memory is still running way faster than the processor can use it. If I got it to run at 1600MHz the measurable diffence would be extremely slight and impossible to notice in the real world.

Comment

vCore 1.325 (possibly a bit higher), tRFC may need to go around 72 (at stock timings 8-8-8-21), 1.65 should be good for DRAM voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Too much voltage!

Okay... This is weird... I gave up on the memory and was working on my core temps being too high (51C at idle and hitting 80C under full load within 2 minutes). I discovered that my Vcore was running at 1.312v despite the AUTO setting and a normal voltage of 1.250v listed in the BIOS. I manually set my CPU voltage to 1.250v and now my temps are good (46C at idle and topping out at 70C).

I'm not sure why, but I thought I would try the memory at 1600MHz with this setting. Lo and behold it booted! No beeps! It always beeped and rebooted at this setting before. However, things froze up on loading the O/S. Looks like after work today I'll have to try some of the previous suggested settings but keep the CPU voltage at 1.250v.

P.S. My Vcore may have originally been 1.350v or higher. I later discovered that CPU-Z is not reporting correct voltages.

Comment

Working...
              X