F3-1866C10Q-32GAB (x2) + ASUS x79 Sabertooth + i7 3930K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1866C10Q-32GAB (x2) + ASUS x79 Sabertooth + i7 3930K

I'm currently putting together a new system with an x79 Sabertooth motherboard, an i7 3930K CPU, and 64GB RAM in the form of two F3-1866C10Q-32GAB kits. I filled the bays with matching kits, so there's not cross-issues, I hope. Motherboard has been flashed to the latest BIOS version.

Trying XMP profiles returned errors in Memtest. Always in the same place, too. I tried manually taking down the speed from 1866 to 1600, but still got the same errors.

I'm now trying with manual setting of the speed, timings, and voltage on the DRAM, but I don't have much hope, as those settings are identical to the XMP settings (1866, 10-11-10-30, 1.5V)

If anyone could provide specific assistance for how to possibly get these errors gone and the system stable, I'd much appreciate it. At the moment I'm assuming there's just something misconfigured in the BIOS. But if push comes to shove I'll test the RAM sticks individually.

Thanks very much.

EDIT: Here's what I'm seeing in Memtest. Not sure if that helps anything.
    Last edited by Tetranitro; 05-03-2013, 04:34 PM. Reason: Additional details

First, any time you mix sets (even the same exact model) it can be problematic, also XMP won't work, it's programmed to the packaged set...so having said that can you post up your DRAM timings (both the base and the advanced/secondary) along with your system voltages and we'll see what we can do

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry for the greenhorn mistake. Is it better to just never try with two different kits, even of the same RAM? I suppose I could return half of the RAM on only kit, though I'd like to grab that 64GB total.

I had no idea about the XMP causing problems in this situation. Since it's just a profile, I didn't think it'd make a difference if the kits were the same timings. On this suggestion I turned XMP off and went to manual, set the speed to 1866, Voltage to 1.5 V, and the Timings to 10-11-10-30 2 manually. Everything else was left on auto in my BIOS.

Since doing this I've managed to pass Memtest on two passes without errors. Here's to hoping it keeps stable. It might throw errors soon, though, so I'm carrying on with troubleshooting for the time being.

I'm not sure if I did what was required, or if I've messed up somewhere else, too. I went ahead and took screenshots of all the pertinent BIOS screens I could, because there were so many different timings and voltages to list. Those are here in this album. I hope this is the info requested.

Sorry again for the newblood type question. XMP has held my hand and spoiled me in the past.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Comment

Sounds like you're on track, and to a degree you're correct on the profile, where you can run into problems is enabling XMP with say two sets, as an example a set of 16GB/2133 will have the same base timings as a 32GBset of the same....but in the advanced timings a 16GB set will carry a tRFC timing os say 208, where a 43 GB set will be around 278....so you took the right approach and had a BIO that set the advance timings pretty well (which doesn't happen all that often).. Looks like it's set pretty good, if anything or you run into problems mike add just a tad to the VTTCPU voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Just reporting back now: The machine cleared ~24 hours of Memtest 4.2.0, installed windows 7, and then managed the Intel Burn Test without any issue. 64 GB DDR3 running at 1866 on Quad Channel without issue now.

Thanks so much for the help!

Comment

Gotta love it! Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X