• Show
Clear All

• Noob needs help, ASRock Xtreme 4 w/G.Skill DDR3 2133

Hi everyone, I recently built a new rig with the following:

ASRock Extreme 4 FW2.80 (DDR3-2133 Fix)
    Intel i5-3570K
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    G.Skill F3-17000CL11D DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) 2x4GB
    Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

The problem i'm having is that the BIOS in my ASRock displays Profile 1&2 as DDR3-2133 11-11-11-30 1.60v but it's selecting DDR3-1600 instead.

These are my BIOS settings:
    Load XMP Settings - AUTO
    DRAM Ref Clock - AUTO
    DDR3-1600 (1:6)

If I try and load either Profile the Computer reboots and request that I change it back to DDR3-1600. If I change the clock speed to 2133 it does the same thing (reboots) until I change the clock back to 1600.

I'm stumped any ideas? :?

Okay, XMP shouldn't be on AUTO, should change that to Load XMP Profile 1..sticks should be in slots 1-3 (from CPU) and ensure they are firmly seated, will prob want an OC of 4.0 or so (An OC of the CPU is required for 2133) and it should be fine....let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Okay, XMP shouldn't be on AUTO, should change that to Load XMP Profile 1..sticks should be in slots 1-3 (from CPU) and ensure they are firmly seated, will prob want an OC of 4.0 or so (An OC of the CPU is required for 2133) and it should be fine....let us know how it goes
      Thanks Tradesman for the info, much appreciated.

But sadly it still doesn't work or I did not follow your instructions correctly.

Here's what I did per your instructions:

1) I verified that both MEM sticks are in slots 1 (A0) and 3 (B0) A0/B0 is ASRock terminology.
      2) Here's where I may not have understood correctly. I set the CPU Ratio to 40 on all 4 cores.
      3) I loaded Memory Profile #1 DDR3-2133 11-11-11-30 1.60v
      4) Per ASRock tech support who wrote back. They said to up the MEM voltage to 1.650v

Still no change. I even tried afterwards to change the DRAM Ref Clock from AUTO to 133Mhz and the DRAM Freq from AUTO to DDR3-2133.
      Last edited by Rodster; 04-30-2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Try clearing the CMOS then, the XMP stuff, raise the CPU OC, and try adding raising the CPUVTT to 1.1, leave DRAM ref Clock on Auto

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Try clearing the CMOS then, the XMP stuff, raise the CPU OC, and try adding raising the CPUVTT to 1.1, leave DRAM ref Clock on Auto
          Thanks again Tradesman for the quick reply. I cleared the CMOS and set the following and no improvements

CPU Ratio - 40 (All Cores)
          Load XMP Profile 1: DDR3-2133 11-11-11-30 1.60v
          DRAM Ref Clock - Auto
          DRAM Freq - Auto
          DRAM Voltage - 1.650v
          VTT Voltage - 1.104v
          Last edited by Rodster; 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Do you have the sticks in slots 1-3 (from CPU)? could try raising the OC to 4.2 or the take the VCCSA to 1.016, but shouldn't be needed. Have you run memtest on each stick individually? Might even want to drop back a BIOS version or two... I know early on they had BIOS problems with this and 32GB sets (I worked with them on it, they were limiting the tRFC to 255 and it needed to go 300+, then got it fixed and the next versions after that they had it back to the 255 limit)....I haven't run 2.8 so not positive of any democracies

Tman

Comment

Do you have the sticks in slots 1-3 (from CPU)? could try raising the OC to 4.2 or the take the VCCSA to 1.016, but shouldn't be needed. Have you run memtest on each stick individually? Might even want to drop back a BIOS version or two... I know early on they had BIOS problems with this and 32GB sets (I worked with them on it, they were limiting the tRFC to 255 and it needed to go 300+, then got it fixed and the next versions after that they had it back to the 255 limit)....I haven't run 2.8 so not positive of any democracies
              Thanks again Tman. I tried everything (minus downgrading the BIOS) you mentioned and no change. I even changed changed the TRFC level to 300+ actually 511 and no change. OK i'll run memtest in the next day or so to see if anything shows up.

Comment

That's way to high for tRFC, for 8 GB be somewhere around 100 or so

Tman

Comment

That's way to high for tRFC, for 8 GB be somewhere around 100 or so
                  Thanks Tman your the best.

I'll try that later today. I think it's mobo related and not the G.Skill sticks. I've used G.Skill in the past on several systems and they've always been rock solid.

Do you think I might get around it by manually configuring the [DRAM Config] Mem sticks in the BIOS? If so i'll need your help because that stuff is way OVER my head.

Comment

Worth a try, I'll try and pull out a set of *gb and see if I can reconfig my rig this afternoon and get back to you

Tman

Comment

Worth a try, I'll try and pull out a set of *gb and see if I can reconfig my rig this afternoon and get back to you
                      Any progress Tman?

Comment

Sorry been tied up on a project and haven't had any real free time - will try tomorrow, am closing the day down around noon - so should have rest of day free

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tman

Comment

Post some pictures of BIOS settings and we can take a look.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X