Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD + Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 + 3930K CPU

Hi

I'm trying to get to 2133 MHz with 64GB RAM on the board mentioned in the subject (board rev 1.0; BIOS F2 - but same results with beta BIOS F3p).

I've tried enabling XMP Profile 1 oder Profile 2, but I'm not able to boot with the XMP profiles (board shuts down, starts, shuts down, ...; I've got to reset BIOS to start again; this also happens if only 4 modules are used).

I've then tried manually setting 2133 MHz, increased DDR voltage to 1.65V and VTT to 1.15V:

RAM Voltage

VTT

I used the following timings

No matter whether I use 4 or 8 modules, the system boots but immediately enters BIOS because of OC failure.

I can run 8 modules when I set them to 1866 MHz. Is it at all possible to run 64GB @ 2133MHz with this board?

CPU always runs at stock speed.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yours

Paul

2133 will require an OC, prob need tRFC up to 278 or so for 32 GB, Vtt up to 1.20 (maybe even a tad higher) and try that initially with 4 sticks and see how it goes, then let me know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for replying.

I've tried with 4 and 8 modules, but there is no big difference. If I set

CAS 11
      tRCD 11
      tRP 11
      tRAS 33
      tRFC 278 (tried max 320)
      Vtt 1.2 (tried max 1.3)
      IMC 1.0 (tried max 1.1)
      DRAM 1.6 (tried max 1.65)
      tCMD 2

I will sometimes be able to boot (about 50% of the time; more often if only 4 modules are used) and even start OS or memtest. But starting prime95 will fail immediately.

But for the fist time I was able to boot with 2133MHz. Maybe there are some other tweaks I could try?

Would you recommend trying 2133, if I want to get it stable 24/7 or better settle with 1866 (prime95 runs for 6h+ and memtest for 12h+)? I get 47500 MB/s with 1866MHz and 49500 MB/s with 2133MHz.

When using 1866 MHz and tCMD=1 (9-9-11-24) I can get close to 49500 MB/s but it's not stable. Maybe this can be tweaked a bit to get it going?

Comment

Let's stay at 2133 for the moment and try tRRD 5, tWTR 6, tRTP 6 and tFAW 24

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

tRC 42
          tRRD 6
          tWTR 7
          tWR 14
          tRFC 350
          tRTP 7

Manually input these and see how it works.

Also, CPU VTT and IMC may need to be raised more for 64GB of DDR3-2133.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you Tradesman and GSkill for replying.

I have tried both your settings but none of them work. I also tried raising them further but to no avail. Even with 1866 MHz I'm not able to boot (most of the time) using these settings. If I revert every setting back to "auto" (including voltages) I'm able to boot with 9-9-11-24 @ 1866.

I've noticed one thing though: I cannot manually enter a value greater than 32 for rRC. As soon as I do, BIOS will revert it back to "auto" (strangely enough, the auto setting seems to be 33...).

It's not a big deal, I'm happy the with the RAM @ 1866 (1.5V), CPU @ 4.1 MHz (1.25V core) , everything else unchanged. It's really stable, prime95 runs for 10h+. [I did not use CPU OC when trying your setting].

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Might contact GB and see if they have a BIOS update in the works or ask what they suggest

Tman

Comment

I've sent the following report to Gigabyte:

---quote---

Dear Sirs,

I might possibly have an issue with your current BIOS F2 (including beta BIOS F3p).

I'm not able to manually set values for tRC greater than 32. As soon as I do, BIOS will revert it back to "auto" (strangely enough, the auto setting seems to be 33...).

Before contacting you, I've tried to solve this with GSKILL. Please cf. here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=12365

I was advised to bring this to your attention.

Is it at all possible to achieve 2133GHz with this brand of 64GB RAM?

Yours

Paul

--end quote---
                Last edited by paul.pech; 04-19-2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Sounds good, odd they would have a limit on the tRC but have run into similar, had a couple of ASRock mobos that had a 255 limit on the tRFC and 32GB (2133 and up sets) sets typically require 278-314 for that timing. Let us know what they say

Tman

Comment

Sorry for the delay... On Tuesday (4/28) Gigabyte sent me a very swift and friendly reply. Attached was beta BIOS F3t with which I can set values greater than 32 for tRC.

Also I'm able to boot with XMP Profiles enabled (cf. OP). The following settings where used for Profile 1 (2133GHz):

tRFC was raised to 320 (and above), auto values should fit GSKILL's proposal in a previous post.

To be able to boot from a disk (hdd or cd), voltages were set to (no CPU OC):

RAM 1.56V

Vcore 1.2
                    PLL 1.85
                    Vtt 1.37
                    IMC 1.25

At times an OS can be booted and prime95 started. It may run 10-20 minutes but it will fail eventually, usually very quickly.

With only 4 modules, it will run considerably longer and voltages can be lowered (Vtt; IMC); I didn't have it running for longer than 2h, so I don't know whether it's really stable.

I've read somewhere that recommended max. for Vtt is 1.4 with H2O, but I'm on air (Noctua NH-U12P, 2x fan). It doesn't run very hot (about 76 °C w/ prime) but I'm little bit worried...

The point is: If I want it stable for 24/7, is there a good chance I can realize this with 64 GB @ 2133 and this hardware setup? As I've said earlier, I'm happy with 4.1 GHZ @ 1866.

Thank you Tradesman, GSkill and Gigabyte for your time and patience :-)

Any suggestions are still very welcome!
                    Last edited by paul.pech; 04-28-2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Might try raising the vCore, maybe 1.26 - 1.27 and see how that does, this will be of additional help to the MC that is located within the CPU

Tman

Comment

2133!

Hi folks thanks so much for posting this information. I am very new to memory tuning and this thread has been very helpful in pointing me in great directions of research on the subject.

I also have the x79-up4 with a 3930k and 64gb of RAM. I am currently running at 2133MHZ which is its rating! However it is not a 64gb kit. It is two 32gb kits. The model# is F3-2133C9Q-32GZH. I was having the identical problems paul.tech was having until I loaded the f3t bios. Using XMP Profile 1 the computer has been very stable. No other changes have been made in the BIOS.

CPU-Z gives me this info on the Memory:
                        Freq 1066.7MHz
                        FSBRAM 1:16
                        CL 9.0
                        tRCD 11
                        tRP 11
                        tRAS 31
                        tRFC 308
                        CR 2T

Not sure if this is helpful at all but I hope it helps. Thanks again for posting as I wouldn't have known about f3t otherwise.

Comment

Looking good, this should help others.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                          X