F3-1600c9q-32gxm + ga-970a-d3 + amd fx-8350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1600c9q-32gxm + ga-970a-d3 + amd fx-8350

I'm having trouble getting this RAM to run stable at 1600MHz.
    I've tried contacting support through email, so I'm going to include that conversation here in case it can be useful.

In summary, even at default 1333MHz settings the system is not stable. If I bump up the Mainboard NB voltage, AND the CPU-NB voltage the system is 100% stable at 1333MHz.

I've tried using the EOP for 1600MHz with the same voltage settings and the system blue screens randomly.
    I've tried the manual settings as outlined here with no luck.

Method #2

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600

2. Set CPU-NB Frequency to 2400MHz (DDR3-1600 / 2 = 800MHz, then x 3) CPU-NB Frequency should always be 3X DRAM bus frequency

3. Set HT Link Frequency to 2400MHz

4. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

5. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

6. Most CPUs will need a CPU-NB Voltage boost of +0.10V, so if your default is 1.10V, set it to 1.20V.
    I'm attaching a screenshot of the BIOS settings with the first 5 changes as instructed, while leaving the rest alone.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Code:
    Hi, I just bought G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
     1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM and am having blue 
    screen trouble.  Could you tell me what settings to use in BIOS? I have a Gigabyte GA-
    970A-D3 mainboard, with a AMD FX-8350 FX-Series Eight-Core Processor Edition, Black 
    AM3 FD8350FRHKBOX CPU.
    Thanks!

G.Skill USA Tech ustech@gskillusa.com via yahoo.com 
    11/23/12
    to me 
    Enable DOCP/EOCP to see how that works. 
    Otherwise, manually input DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage. 

11/23/12
    to G.Skill 
    Can you send me the full list of timings? All i can find  is 9 9 9  and the manual page has a lot of settings. 
    Thanks

11/23/12
    to me 
    You can leave them to AUTO, they will automatically detect if you input the main timings. 

11/23/12
    to G.Skill 
    I tried but it had two columns, auto and spd and they weren't the same. Which should i use?

11/23/12
    to me 
    The system should automatically use the AUTO values listed. Don't manually set them, the values will adjust as you change the main timings. 

11/24/12
    to G.Skill 
    Ok, maybe this will help. Here is a screenshot of the BIOS. If I set the EOCP to 1600, this is the settings it shows with the ram at 1.6v. 
    If I bump the ram down to 1.5c and add +.10 to the CPN NB voltage, the system won't boot. If I change the settings from auto to SPD the system boots,
     but blue screens in windows every so often. If I disable EOCP the system detects the ram as 1333 instead of 1600. Any ideas?

11/26/12
    Test one module at a time to see if one performs differently. Try manual settings by inputting DRAM frequency timings and voltage. Leave advanced timings to 
    AUTO and it should work fine. Keep me posted on the results.

11/26/12
    to G.Skill 
    Can you send me the timings I should change?

11/26/12
    to me 
    Set DRAM frequency, timings, voltage, and CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V

11/28/12
    to G.Skill 
    do you have a tech sheet or something that lists all of the correct settings for this RAM and what i should set them to? I can only find 9-9-9 and 1.5v
    Also, while troubleshooting ram I noticed that I was getting freezes even when leaving the RAM at default 1333 settings. I upped the mainboard NB 
    voltage by .05 and that seemed to stop the freezing at 1333. I've not had the time to try changing settings back to 1600 with the mainboard NB voltage
     bump to see if it's still stable, but is this a common issue/fix? Or was my changing the mainboard NB voltage and the system becoming stable a random coincidence? 

11/30/12
    to me 
    Depends if you are adjusting CPU-NB or NB. Generally CPU-NB Voltage can improve memory stability since it is the memory controller. 

11/30/12
    to G.Skill 
    It was the Mainboard NB voltage. I've been adding .10 to the default CPU NB voltage every time, just tried upping the Mainboard NB voltage on a whim and
     it worked. It's ran stable at 1333 since I made that change. I still need the settings from you so I can try running it at 1600 please.

11/30/12
    to me 
    The basic settings are all that's necessary as the motherboard will adjust the rest as you input the basic values. If you would like, send pictures of BIOS and I can 
    see if anything is detected incorrectly. 

11/30/12
    to G.Skill 
    Thanks! Here is a screenshot of the settings it auto detects when I set the easy overclock profile to 1600. It will not POST with these settings however.

11/30/12
    to me
    Manually set the first five timings and raise the DRAM Voltage and/or CPU-NB Voltage. The main timings should not be on AUTO. 

11/30/12
    to G.Skill 
    what should the first 5 timings be? and should 1T/2T by 1T or 2T? 

11/30/12
    to me 

2T 

11/30/12
    to G.Skill 
    Thanks, i'll give those a try and get back to you

to G.Skill 
    I finally got a chance to try those settings, it still blue screened within minutes. Here is a screenshot of the settings. I only changed the first 5 as instructed.
    Please advise

ENIMAGE1357872240277.jpg
    Attached Files

First do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo? If so I'd raise DRAM voltage to 1.55, raise the CPU/NB voltage + 0.13 from whatever EOP set, of course if not, then update the BIOS and try that first

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      First do you have the latest BIOS for your mobo? If so I'd raise DRAM voltage to 1.55, raise the CPU/NB voltage + 0.13 from whatever EOP set, of course if not, then update the BIOS and try that first
      I do have the latest BIOS. I'll try again with the voltage changes.

Thanks!

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I tried with RAM Voltage at 1.55 and CPU-NB Voltage at +.125 which was the closest option to .13 and it blue screened within minutes running prime 95.

I just tried with the RAM at 1.6 voltage which is what EOP automatically had it at, and CPU-NB voltage at +.15 which is the next step up from .125 and so far 20 minutes of prime 95 and counting. So far so good.

I'll let it go for a few hours and report back if it crashes.
          Do you see any problem with leaving those voltages that high?

Thanks for the help!
          Last edited by talilon; 01-15-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Just want to keep an eye on your temps, if they climb to high at idle or under load, may have to try something else

Tman

Comment

It lasted longer, but no go. Is there anything else I can try?

Comment

Might check with the mobo manufacturer and see if they have an idea or have a BIOS update in the works

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X