Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASrock Z77 Extreme4 - GS Ripjaws Questions

Hi,

Just a couple questions from a newbie to making upgrades.

I'm upgrading my 3 yr old 1st PC build from an i7-930 that I successfully OC'd to 3.7ghz as a total newcomer.

I've received all my parts and am upgrading to an i5-3570k which I will OC to around 4.5ghz.

Mobo is ASrock Z77 Extreme4
    Ram is GSkill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL x 2 pkgs for 16gb
    It says DDR3-1866 CL9-10-9-28 1.50v on the sticks.

I now understand that by buying two pkgs they are not matched. Oh well.

Since I know diddly about overclocking ram. What can I simply OC this ram too and is it a simple 1-2 step process in the ASrock utilities or whatever these new bios oc'ing programs are called.

What will this ram's expected default be?

Thanks!

Yes, mixing sets can be problematic...hopefully not in this case unless the sticks just don't want to play. I've had good luck with this same combo and tested numerous sets together with positive results. First off get the latest BIOS, then check each set (in slots 1-3 from the CPU) with XMP to see if they set right. After the second set checks, install the 1st set in slots 2-4 and give it a whirl. If any problem go back to a single set, go into the BIOS and raise CPUVTT to 1.12 and the DRAM voltage to 1.55 and should be good....any problems, give me a shout and post your timings (base and advanced/secondary and your system voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Make sure each kit is installed in the same color slots. If your slots are not color coded, each kit should have one module in channel A, and another in channel B. So two modules from each* kit will be in each channel.

A2 B2 , one kit

A1 B1 , another kit

This is your best chance at good matching/compatibility.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Everything went just fine! All 4 sticks recognized perfect. OC'd to 1866 with one click and no issues.

Now if I could just figure out where to plug in my two HDD's to set up raid. Got the OS on the SSD just fine, but the asrock guides are horrible. They make no mention of OS on one drive (my ssd) and two HDD's setup in raid. Heck I'm not even sure which sata ports to plug into. I think if I could get that right I'll be able to set raid in bios just fine.

But no issues on the ram! Great job Gskill and thanks GSkill tech and Tradesman!

Comment

well, got that figured out too. And didn't even lose anything on my hdd's!

Thanks for the help on the ram!

Comment

Glad to help, if you run into any other problems let us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Gskill Admin. and others please reply

I am posting this because I Have just built a system with this ASrock z77 extreme 4 board and wow its popular! Because this board is insanely popular and a killer budget board Id like to get some more real posts about memory here under this thread!

I'm running the stated board and this memory
              G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
              I've overclocked my system and the memory is stable, I had to load the xmp profile to get
              1866 speed and set it to that speed, even though my bios was second to most current version (new version of bios added a few issues ive heard about so I stayed with current)
              I had to set the timings of the memory as stated per these modules and everything works great!

Now question time. Id like to know what the 2N timing refers to and the difference between that and the 2T and 1T. I was under the impression that T and N basically means pair or not paired (channels) basically, but I guess I was hoping that its possible to get down to 1N or something with this... is it possible? The feature doesn't let me change it from auto in the bios and I think when I first booted at higher cas timings and 1600mhz it was 1N. Please Gskill... explain this a little

Also are there some timing profiles that anyone could suggest to improve this memory speed, manually setting some things, CAS timings and voltage and trans (forget exactly what it is).

Bassically id like options, GSKILL if you can pull up that board and actually recommend some options like show some timing profiles that may work. I could call and talk to the tech guys, but id rather this post go public and id like to see what some different profiles for timings that might work are, maybe I also could increase the speed from 1866 further up? ANYONE COMMENT, I know its a lot but im sure others are curious.

Comment

Basically it is the time between when an IC (chip) has been activated and it can accept a command and is measured in clock cycles gen 1 or 2 (obviously one is less so faster performance)...the T and the N designators are basically just that, a designator, for a long time Intel always used the letter T and AMD CPUs used the letter N, these days they are interchangeable between the two platforms.

As far as your particular rig and sticks - you have some options to play with to try and drop to a 1 CR (Command rate) you might be able to get there by adding a little voltage to both the DRAM and the MC (Memory Controller) which is the CPUVTT on your mobo, maybe +0.04 to the DRAM and take the VTT up to 1.141.

Don't know what CPU you have, but should also be able to OC the sticks, with a 2nd or 3rd gen K model CPU should be able to run 2133 at with you RJ Xs prob at 10-11-10-28 or 10-10-10-28 @ about 1.57 DRAM voltage if OCed to 4GHz or better on the CPU....

It is indeed a great mobo, I run a 3570K on mine w/ 32GB of 2400 Tridents, and use this rig to test components for new builds and on components for systems that need repairs upgrades.

Hope this helps, if you need more info I'm generally in and out every day

Tman

Comment

1866 to 2133 on asrock z77 extreme 4 success, 2 dims

Hey its been a while and I wanted to update this or you Tradesman! I got it booted and running stable with the 10-11-10-28 timings at 1.57 v. Im using the asrock z77 extreme 4 board as stated and for your reference im running second to last bios, plenty up to date v 2.70 , think the newest was 2.80 . Anyways I wanted to let you know that im running at 2133 MHz stable on 2 sticks of the memory we stated and have one further questions.

YOU ASKED WHAT CPU. IM RUNNING CORE i5 3570K overclocked now to a reliable 4.2 ghz and disabled the speedstep so It runs constant at 4.2 constant and tested voltage prior to overclocking it able to run .9 v at 3.4 ghz and now running at a set voltage of 1.1v cpu for the 4.2ghz. I disabled some C states and spread spectrum and believe I set the line load (if you know what im referring to ) to stage 3, which I heard was a good way to go. Just some food for thought on my system.

The sticks I thought would run at a base rate of 1N, BUT IT WONT LET ME ADJUST IT IN BIOS. Its not grayed out or anything. I think it booted at 1N when it was at its original speed of 1600mhz before xmp being set to 1866 and ever since than it runs 2N. I FIND THAT ODD, thinking 2N would be if I had 4 dims running but this set was only for 8gb in 2 dims. So why wont this board let me change it from "auto" being 2N down to 1N? Do I need to do anything further? I didn't mess with anything voltage wise besides the base voltage change from 1.5 to 1.57 and changing the timings to 10-11-10-28 and upping the speed to 2133 manually. Please advise since you are used to this board and thanks for the help so far, windows and other tests noticed the improvement. OH HERES AN OFF SUBJECT QUESTION. IM RUNNING WINDOWS 8 BASIC AND A GTX 660 OVERCLOCKED 2GB EVGA GRAPHICS CARD....WHEN OPENING UP THE DISPLAY PANNEL FOR THE CARD IT SHOWS 2GB MEMORY DEDICATED AND 2 GB SHARED MEMORY ACTING AS AN OVERFLOW I GUESS BUT HOW CAN THIS BE CHANGED? I don't like the idea of shared system ram and don't see needing it with the 2GB dedicated. Cant find an option in windows or the bios of this board to alter the shared ram and not sure why it has it set like that by default. Answer this if you know anything, you have been very helpful.
                  Last edited by DonMilagro; 02-18-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I'm getting ready to run out for a bit, haven't run into the 1T / 2T thing but haven't really had time to play or try and tweak anything since I popped 2.7 in...will take a look and get back this evening (prob 7ish if not sooner)....on the shared System Memory if I remember right it's automatically set set by the DWM (dynamic windows manger), I want to say I found a registry hack that you could use to set it to a static level of your choice, but don't remember off hand....basically though your right it's a 'just in case' thing, with lots of Windows you might tap into it

Tman

Comment

thanks TRADESMAN

yes tradesman, please get back to me, the "shared memory" profile thing seems to be default, I have enquired on EVGA forums and have been told they see similar and that's why many people , with the money have started going for the 4gb cards because its a vram issue, basically I understand that it wants to allocate an amount it can use if the 2 gb is surpassed but it hasn't hurt me even during the crisis 3 beta, I was still able to run at high and very high settings. I guess when buying the 8gb I just didn't plan on having a couple gb possibly hijacked haha. Still my MAIN QUESTIONS maintained is about trying to get my memory down to 1N RATING if possible. see previous post for specs and info when you get a chance, just odd that It reads as 2N AND I CAN'T change it from auto. If you take that board and this ram it runs great at 2133 and the settings previously posted but I didn't change any voltage other than 1.57 on the ram voltage. Let me know if you find a way to get it down to 1N on the two sticks im running, otherwise that's the only thing id improve. If you find out anything about the windows 8 graphics shared ram, that's great, I don't really need to force it not too I was just looking to pick your brain on that issue or rather sharing my surprise because nobody tells ya about that haha.

Comment

Still trying to get out ogf here, give it a try just putting a 1 in there with no 'N'

Tman

Comment

Did that help? See ya out there this AM

Tman

Comment

Got alot out of this, Prime95 test forever stable , Runs crysis3 well

TRADESMAN, GOT IT, THANKS! So its been a few years since I built a new pc and it seems the issue was me mainly with the 2N vs 1N setting. On this motherboard you do have to entire just the digit 1 for 1N. It was set to auto and you couldn't scroll it and when you put 1N or 2N It defaults to "auto" you must put only the digit without the N or T. Thanks, my bad. Im posting my final specs below now for others reference and for any further thoughts or tweaks you may want to suggest. Again, your awesome, thanks for all the help!

Motherboard: ASrock z77 extreme 4
                            memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL . runs at 1866 at set timings, overclocked to 2133 setting manual with timings set to 10-11-10-28 1N 1.57v up from 1.5 effective cas 10 windows 8 rates 8.1
                            CPU: core i5 3570k overclocked from 3.4 to 4.2 nothing extreme but highly stable. Voltage set manually to 1.1v C states disabled, speedstep disabled to lock cpu speed, stage/line load moved to 3 , spread spectrum disabled 60C temp max air cooled
                            hard drive: SSD Sandisk extreme
                            Video: evga gtx660 OC 2gb

Comment

There's a few other tweaks I've found on this board you might want to try, will post them up this PM, I'm heading out into the field for a couple of calls, not sure how long I'll be out...prob a good part of the day

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X