Biostar TZ77B + F3-1866C10D-16GAB + Intel i5 3570K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biostar TZ77B + F3-1866C10D-16GAB + Intel i5 3570K

So I tried the settings in this thread http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10728

I also spent two nights trying lots of different settings and even if I set the memory to 1333MHz and use manual settings the only way it works is by using the SPD setting. I was able to get some Patriot 2x4GB memory working at 1600MHz, but again only using the SPD setting, which automatically set it there. I tried both t he XMP settings and neither worked. I tried many settings with VCCSA set to +15%(can only change it by percentage) and settings DIMM Voltage to 1.65 and even tried going up to 1.75v. Even tried setting all memory timings to their max possible values and many inbetween without any success.

The only way I can get this ram to work for me is through setting the memory to SPD setting, which runs it at 1333MHz. Also I have to change the "Misc Timings" which are:
    Read-Read different ranks time to 5 or above
    Read-Read different DIMMS time to 5 or above
    Write-different ranks time to 5 or above
    Write-Write different DIMMS time to 5 or above
    Read-Write differnet rank/DIMMS time to 5 or above
    Write-Read different rank/DIMMS to 5 or above
    Read-Write same rank time to 5 or above

Do you know what settings this correpond to with respect to what other companies call these timings? And what they should be for this memory?

I have tried at both stock CPU speed and with a 42x multiplier. I have not tried changing the BCLK.

Also the computer will not boot if I put the memory in slot A2, I tried some Patriot Viper2 memory and it started up fine when it was in slot A2.

I have tried running both of the sticks by themselves in slot A1 and B1 and trying the manual setting.

I would just be happy to get them running at 1600MHz, which is a non-overclock memory setting.

So if you have any thing else I might try that would be great as it seems to me I should be able to get it working using manual settings at 1333MHz.
    Last edited by TheDei0niz3r; 12-04-2012, 02:35 PM.

First do you have the latest BIOS? With BioStar I'd guess the BIOS isn't fully ready for the 8GB sticks if you have the latest, (they tend to take their time getting the BIOS updated, check that you have the latest, if so Fire it up, enable XMP, select progile 1 then reboot into BIOS and post up your DRAM settings (timings, both base and advanced/secondary) as well as your system voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes that was the first thing I did was update to the latest bios, which was posted on 4/19. They do have a beta bios, but it says the only change was to fix a problem with some keyboards making the computer not boot. I did try the beta, but went back to the 4/19 bios as the beta bios made it so if I had my keyboard plugged in it would not boot and stay at an error code of B4, which is not even a code shown in the manual. I had to grab another one of my keyboards(a OEM Asus keyboard that came with a client computer), which let it boot up and the flashed back to the 4/19 bios.

When I get home tonight I will post some settings that certain programs told me they were running at when using the SPD setting, but when I use those same settings manually they do not boot up. Very confusing that manually setting the same settings as SPD sets does not work.

The two programs I was using are CPU-Z and CPU Overclocker. I forgot what other windows program was suggested, but when I went to the memory part it didn't show any settings.

Comment

Will be looking for your info, I'll be in and out sporadically this evening, have a couple builds I'm working on and a couple to troubleshoot

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alright, so I just realized all those "Misc Timings" I have to set to the max of 8 otherwise it will not boot even using the SPD setting. Also here are the settings that SPD set and are working, but if I try to set those same exact timings manually it doesn't boot. I have also tried at cpu stock speed and it doesn't work still when ever I try to do manual settings.

Also these are the timings stored on the memory itself for different speeds

So I was just looking at the names of the timings again and apparently from what I can see Biostar has renamed one timing to tFAW and looks to equal tRC. I didn't see a tFAW in the Jedec timings, so I just put like 30, but it needed to be higher. So after a little bit of playing I got it running at 1600MHz, but still could not get running at 1866MHz with the settings in the XMP#2 profile shown above. Below are currently working settings, where tRC=tFAW:

Just realized this is only running one stick right now, going to install the other and find out if it still works.

Alright, so 16GB would not work at those settings, but I did get them to work at 1600MHz with CL10-11-10 settings (also changed the rest to the XMP#2 settings). I also had to change the VCCSA and VCCIO settings to +15%, might be able to lower that, but do you think 15% is safe? The board allows +5%, +10% and +15%.

Alright, so changed them VCCIO/VCCSA both to 10%, didn't have a chance to run any load tests, but it booted up and was working fine for the few minutes that I had before I left for school. Do you think 1333MHz at lower CL (have to test what the lowest I could go at this speed) would be better or CL10 at 1600MHz?
          Last edited by TheDei0niz3r; 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

In the secondary timings try tRRD 7 tWTR 8 tRTP 8 tWR 16 and if tFAW is available set to 27. Also, check CPU/VTT voltage, prob want about 1.13

Tman

Comment

Guess you missed it as I kept updating the post with my trial and error. I found the main timing keeping me from booting was tFAW being set to low. If you look at the JDEC it says that tRC(which is tFAW) should be 33 for 1333MHz and 40 for 1866MHz. I think either it is just the bios or a weak IMC on my 3570K as I had to up the timings and up the voltages once I installed all 16GB, with just 1 8GB stick it was running CL9 at 1600MHz, had to goto CL10 for 16GB at 1600MHz.

Also my CPU is at 1.17 on the auto voltage. Did 10%/10% on VCCSA/VCCIO and that allowed me to do 1600MHz with 16GB. Not sure if it is worth it to try and go for 1866MHz, when I will have to set timings even looser just to get it to boot.

Comment

Believe this is more a mobo/BIOS issue with Biostar, I'm runnning 2400/32GB on my Z77 with tFAW at 26 and 2133/32GB on my P67 with tFAW at 24, think the highest I've needed w/ tFAW at 1866 was 27 and that 16GB 4x4GB of 2133 with tight base timings.

Keep us updated

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X