Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad idea to re-flash the SSD to fully erase it

Hi guys ,

i have G.skill Falcon 128GB , with FW 1571 , and i want to re-install the window

and since there is no tool to erase the SSD ( as for my Inf. )

Can i re-flash the drive with the same FW (1571) just to fully erase it to re-install window ?

Originally posted by koc View Post
    Hi guys ,

i have G.skill Falcon 128GB , with FW 1571 , and i want to re-install the window

and since there is no tool to erase the SSD ( as for my Inf. )

Can i re-flash the drive with the same FW (1571) just to fully erase it to re-install window ?
    Heu, when you install windows, to the point where you choose on with drive you want to install windows, just click advance, select your ssd drive, click "suppr partition" maybie errase, donc't know the terme in english ^^ the format the ssd

Or just format it^^

Comment

You can use the wiper.exe trim command to create a fresh drive.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=733

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

This thread is so full of fail.

Just Format the drive.
        Slow is Steady and Steady is Fast

Comment

Heu, when you install windows, to the point where you choose on with drive you want to install windows, just click advance, select your ssd drive, click "suppr partition" maybie errase, donc't know the terme in english ^^ the format the ssd

Or just format it^^

This thread is so full of fail.

Just Format the drive.
          thank you guys for replies , i know how to format the drive using the window DVD
          But is this method will erase the drive to ZERO , like new ?

Also trim , does not erase the whole drive .

Comment

Originally posted by koc View Post
            thank you guys for replies , i know how to format the drive using the window DVD
            But is this method will erase the drive to ZERO , like new ?

Also trim , does not erase the whole drive .
            I'm currently in the process of searching for a thread, and in that process I came across this. I didn't know the answer at the time, so I didn't reply. But now I know the answer, so here I am taking care of this during my search of the aforementioned thread!

Using the format utility either within Windows or within the Windows installer only deletes the Master Boot Record (MBR). It leaves all data on the drive, however, deleting the MBR makes it look empty to the operating system. But you can "zero-fill" the drive, which writes drive with all 0's. Apparently, a fresh drive from the factory is all 0's, but once data is written, it becomes a bunch of 1's and 0's. Unfortunately, I don't know anything more on this. I mean, at this point in a post like this, I normally provide links and stuff, but all I know is what it's called and what it does. I've never done it, nor do I know what the "best" zero-filling software is (or if there's even a best one).

So, here's what I recommend. Right before shutting down the last time before reformatting, run Wiper.exe at least once. Then shut down, boot from the installation DVD and choose the Custom (advanced) installation. When you get to the part of the installation that lists the drive(s), choose Drive options (advanced). Select the Falcon and click "Delete". This deletes the partition. Then click "New" to create a new partition. Then click "Format". When it's done, click Next to begin the installation.

I haven't done this yet, but I think that this is the best option if you don't have a separate installation of Windows or some other operating system installed either on a separate partition or a separate hard drive. This is because using software to zero-fill the drive most definitely requires the Falcon to be a secondary drive. Although, there may even be a zero-filling application that you can boot from so that you don't even need an installed operating system.

Anyway, I'm going to get back to searching this forum for that thread I mentioned. I'm sorry that I'm too late, but I figure it's better late than never.

Comment

Working...
            X