Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have a question regarding memory kits

Hello I ordered this the other day for a new build

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

I changed my mind and want to go with 32 GB of this RAM. Should I order another of the same set or order the 32 GB kit and return the 16 GB kit when it arrives. (would rather avoid return postage/restocking fee, and the extra 2 day wait to build the system!)

Unfortunately the forum search feature was inoperative and I'm sure this gets asked regularly so please bear with me.

Using this with ASRock Z77 Extreme4, and Intel Core i5-3570K

Thanks in advanced.

Up front, anytime you mix sets, even of the same model, it can be problematic. Two sets will need to be set up manually, as XMP is programmed to the set, and many of the advanced timings will differ from a 16GB to a 32GB set. So the quasi official suggestion as you would get from GSkill and normally me, would be go with a single set. On the other hand, with 1600 DRAM and your CPU/mobo combo, chances are the sets will play together with a few adjustments. I'm running your same CPU/mobo combo and I've mixed 1866 and 2133 sets will little problem...so 1600 is well within reason, but I will throw in that on occasion you'll run into two sets that simply won't play together. So it's a bit of a tossup, if you go a straight 32GB then you return the 16, or if you get another 16 and they don't play, then have to return both...Wish I could say specifically, YES, IT WILL WORK! but I can't, however if you go two sets, I'm in and out every day and would be happy to help, and GSkill Tech is normally in and out M-F

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X