X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon 128G Raid0 on Adaptec 5805

Hi there

I bought 4 falcon 128Go.
    I plug them to my ASUS P6T delux V2 Motherboard (last Asus Firmware on it)

I configure the 4 drive in One array RAID 0 on the motheboard controler.
    I restart the computer and install vista x64 on it.
    No probleme here.

Everything work fine.

The mother board has 6 Sata port, 4 are used for the Falcon SSD, so it let 2left.

I also have to plug:
    1 BD writer LG on SATA, and 3 more hard drive+esata connector.

So i use an ADAPTEC 5805 RAID card controler.

I plug the card, connecte the 4 falcon on it.
    When i go to the raid conf menue of the raid card during bootup, the card detecte the 4 Falcon, I initalize the 4 SSD then create the raid Array.

I restart the computer, put windows vista dvd in one drive and start whith the installation menue.

I select the array to install windows, then windows sart formating it, the start copying the file.

between 5 and 10% of the installation process, everything stop.
    No progression, i have let it 24H like this to see if it will go, but nothing, so i restart the computer, during boot up, the adaptec bios start up, v?rify the configuration of array, tell me that he found 1 array but it is offline. the array has chane.
    The array has lost one or more SSD.
    i make under the adaptec bios a new "discover disk", and he found juste the nuber of drive left in the array, not the one lost.
    I delet the array, restart the computer and there, adaptec found the 4 drive...

So i just can't use the raid card adaptec for the raid0 with falcon ssd drive.

Do you know if Other people got the same probleme with other raid card or the same, and a way to make it work??

I'm under the 1370 firmware for the falcon SSD, did the update will make the ssd compatible with the raid controler??

can you help me??
    Last edited by freelink; 07-22-2009, 04:17 AM.

This definitely sounds like a compatibility problem on Adaptec's side, not your Falcons. You've already seen that your ICH10R controller can build an array no problem.

Can you return the 5805 and try another?
    cutting edge?
    Intel Core i7 950 + Asus P6T X58
    3*2GB G.Skill PI Series 1600MHz CL8
    256GB Corsair P256 SSD (Samsung controller + 128MB cache) [OS]
    :: Note my G.Skill Falcon was sold ::
    2*1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7,200rpm 32MB cache [Storage]
    2 x Asus EAH4890 in CrossFireX
    Dell UltraSharp 2707WFP 27" LCD A01 revision
    Asus Xonar Essence STX + Sennheiser HD650
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

Well don't think that the card is broken:

Response (xxxxx) - 07/20/2009 01:52 AM
      Dear xxxxx,

Please refer to our compatibility reports for this card to see which SSD drives have been tested. I am afraid we have no yet looked at this model and it appears as though you appear to be encountering compatibility problems.

www.adaptec.com/compatibility

Sorry, I can't comment on when support will be introduced for these drives.

Thanks for using ASK US

So i can hope that in a future firmware of the card, Falcon SSD will be support, but when?

Well, in the meen time i had put my DVD drive, BD drive and single HDD drive on the adaptec card, it's a cheaper way to add 8 SATA ports in the computer^^

Comment

Falcon ssd with adaptec 5805

Hy, i have same probleme like you, but i have only 2 falcon ssd drive. My answer from adaptec support:
        "The latest controller firmware was released only a couple of weeks ago. The next regular release can be expected around October, in case there are no delays due to encountered issues...
        Also make sure to use the latest firmware on your SSD drives, as far as available."

But i have the latest ssd and the latest adaptec card firmware.....

Comment

ok, si i d'ont have to upgrade the firmware for the moment,

It 's to see that a hardware constructor like adaptec can't build a product that respect SATA standar...

If i have found before buying the card that it has compatibility probleme, i think i will not bought it, but the intel one...

Have you open a ticket from Adaptec to tell them that you have a probleme with the card and falcon SSD??

Maybie if we are alote to tell them there are prleme, they will make resolve the compatibility probleme.

For the moment, i use the card with my non systeme HDD ans sata dvd plyaer and sata bD writer.

Comment

Yes, i opened a ticket, in october go out new firmware for the raid card.
            I have read the ocz forum, and the card have same probleme with ocz vertex ssd.

Comment

The adaptec technical support two answer:
              "Response (Adnan Zatarah) - 07/30/2009 08:12 AM
              Hello from Adaptec.

SSDs are giving us some headaches currently and we see all kinds of effects, which reach from some SSDs not being detected at all, via what you are seeing, or working stable, but with miserable performance, or some which seem to work great...
              As you can see on the compatibility list on the web for this controller, a couple of SSDs have been tested successfully, others seem to partly show problems and your experience with G-Skill SSDs is the first one I'm having with this model.
              The problem are in most cases timing issues between the controller firmware and SSD firmware. Especially as this is not a real standard yet on the SSD side. There are very different results, depending on the programmed profiles, which can be very different and an improvement on one side can make the situation worse again on the other side. Hardware Raid controllers are more dependent on the direct interaction with the drives and a working communication. Therefore this should be much easier with smple onboard controllers that a mostly firmware based only.

Can you create a support.zip from StorageManager and upload tat to an update of this case? I doubt there is much we can do here, but maybe the logs contain some hints as to what the problem is.
              Do you have any tools from G.Skil that would allow configuration changes on the drives? We are experinecing some issues with drive features as SSC (Spread Spectrum Clocking), drive based Power Management settings, etc. Maybe something can be influenced from this side.

Kind regards
              Adaptec Technical Support
              "
              " Response (Adnan Zatarah) - 07/31/2009 12:48 AM
              Hello from Adaptec.

These issues are known already ,as the OCZ modules seem to be popular in Europe and already available in lower prize segments. And this is what I have tried to explain. This is not a G.Skill issue only, but can turn up with all sorts of modules. If you want to make sure a module is working, you can hang on to the compatibility list, or try to find reviews on the web of customers who tested this card with specific modules.
              But you need to be careful here as I have seen modules that were working fine and then suddenly a new module with larger capacity of the same manufacturer did not work anymore. I think those were also OCZ modules, if I can remember correctly.

Kind regards
              Adaptec Technical Support

Comment

the first time thet eard that the is a probleme with SSD gskill...

I have tell them the :
                7/16/2009 01:03 AM
                using ASK US and by phone..

I realy don't understand where is the probleme with them, because Intel with his x58 chip and ICH10R make SSD in RAID work fine,

Will wait the next update...

Comment

Geez this is unacceptable!! I'm glad I'm reading this as I have come close to buying an Adaptec card for RAID. I will stick to Intel ICH10R!
                  cutting edge?
                  Intel Core i7 950 + Asus P6T X58
                  3*2GB G.Skill PI Series 1600MHz CL8
                  256GB Corsair P256 SSD (Samsung controller + 128MB cache) [OS]
                  :: Note my G.Skill Falcon was sold ::
                  2*1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7,200rpm 32MB cache [Storage]
                  2 x Asus EAH4890 in CrossFireX
                  Dell UltraSharp 2707WFP 27" LCD A01 revision
                  Asus Xonar Essence STX + Sennheiser HD650
                  Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

Adaptec raid

I hate to see you guys shy away from the Adaptec controllers. I'm running the 5405 (the 5805s brother). They are effectively the same card, minus the second port. I'm running 4 each Gskill SLC 32 GB drives in raid 0. I have never had issue with the raid dropping out. I also run a Highpoint 3510 with the same drives and never had an issue. The 3510 uses an 800mhz Intel IOP and the Adaptec is the 1.2 Ghz IOP. The adaptec gets slightly higher throughput 430mb/s and the 3510 is getting 410 mb/s. The highpoint boots faster (shorter controller init) and gets higher IOPS (odd since the adaptec is faster). It all comes down to firmware optimization for throughput or IO. Both are very good optimizations, especially considering the hardware difference. Being that Tom's Hardware just tested the max throuput on a pair of 5805s using intel drives, I say it's not the firmware on the card.

Since I don't have 2 Falcon drives, Ive yet to try them in raid. I will say that depending on the controller, the Falcon drive gets widely varing performance.

I hate to say it but it's most likely the Falcon drive's issue since it's emulating SATA commands. The Gigabyte I-rams have never worked with real raid controllers either.

Comment

well, well, if only it's a falcon probleme, so what to say about guy with OCZ who got probleme with it, or Corsair's one???
                      So what did you say to them??

You say that you have not test your Falcon in RAID, so why incr?minate the falcon SSD drive??

If i was alone whith this probleme, ok, but i'am not!

This is an export from the SSD compatibility list of the adaptec card:
                      http://www.adaptec.com/NR/rdonlyres/...s5_LowPort.pdf

extract
                      Solid State Drives (SSD)
                      Type Manufacturer Model FW Revision Capacity
                      SATA Intel X25-E Extreme SATA Solid State Drive 8620, 8625, 8820 32GB
                      SATA Intel X25-E Extreme SATA Solid State Drive 8790, 8820 64GB
                      SATA Intel
                      X25-M and X18-M Mainstream SATA
                      Solid State Drive
                      8820 80GB
                      SATA Intel
                      X25-M and X18-M Mainstream SATA
                      Solid State Drive
                      8820 160GB
                      SATA Memo Right MR25.2-S032G B8E08D1C 32GB
                      SATA MTRON MSP-SATA7025-016 0.16R1h1 16GB
                      SATA MTRON MSP-SATA7025-032 0.16R1h1 32GB
                      SATA MTRON MSP-SATA7025-064 0.16R1h1 64GB
                      SATA MTRON MSP-SATA7035-016 0.16R1h1 16GB
                      SATA MTRON MSP-SATA7035-032 0.16R1h1 32GB
                      SATA MTRON MSP-SATA7035-064 0.16R1h1 64GB
                      SATA MTRON MSP-SATA7035-128 0.16R1h1 128GB
                      SATA STEC MACH8 IO 1766 32GB

Do you see GSKILL?? CORSAIR??? OCZ??? and the other one??

Don't you think it's easy to say the card work great with SSD, when you take one that they have made a firmware for compatibility???

What to say about INTEL ICH10R?? INTEL have made a firmware for each SSD DRIVE???

I have made the test, the 4 SSD in single drive, ok the 4 disk work on the card, but not when plug in raid Mode!

Tchuss, hope that a new firmware come quickly!

freelink
                      Last edited by freelink; 08-10-2009, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X