Ripjaw Z 1866 CL10 not stable at 1866 on Core i7 3820

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaw Z 1866 CL10 not stable at 1866 on Core i7 3820

I just built a new Core i7 3820 system on an ASUS Sabertooth X79 board. I put in a 32GB kit (4x8) of G.Skills Ripjaw Z series (CL10). When I select XMP in the bios it sets the correct timings and 1866MHz. But when I run Memtest86+ at this speed I quickly get errors in tests 2 and 3 of the first pass. I'm now underclocking the RAM to 1600 MHz with all other settings the same, and so-far one full pass of memtest with no errors.
    I'm wondering, could the problems at 1866 be because the i7 3820 only officially supports up to 1600 and I'm just over-taxing the memory controller on the CPU? The MB is supposed to support up to 1866 MHz RAM. I've read others running this setup at this speed without issue.
    I don't mind underclocking the RAM I guess, it just stinks that I paid more for the 1866 RAM and can't use it at that speed.

The BIOS may not be ready (often happens), make sure you have the latest version, or if you already do can try raising DRAM voltage + 0.05 and/or MC (Memory Controller) voltage about the same

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X